Help, Rabbit has diarrhea

Bird_Lover_17

Birds are life
Apr 9, 2020
USA
Hi, my rabbit has diarrhea. It smells really bad. The breeder he came from said that if he has diarrhea I should feed him oats in with his food. What should I do?
Important info:
1) He is an indoor rabbit
2) There are no other rabbits in the house
3) there are no other animals near his cage
4)He is 6 years old, NOT fixed
5) He is acting a little less energetic today than normal
6) I haven't seen or smelt his diarrhea until today
7) I have not/ other people in my house have not visited a different place that has rabbits.
I am completely sanitizing his cage, food bowl and water bottle.

Have you given him any new treats, pellets, veggies, or hay? Or too many pellets? 1/4 a cup for about 4 pounds is about how much they should be feed a day. Has he been in a non bunny proofed space where he could have eaten something?
You should take him to the vet and they'll tell you what treatment is best for him.
For now stop feeding pellets, and only fresh hay. Some electrolytes in his water will help.

You should get him a bowl instead of a bottle since the nozzle it very hard to clean and can give your rabbit an infection, as well as dehydrate him. Rabbits drink about as much as a large dog does a day. This will help with the diarrhea

This is from the House Rabbit Society:
"Some common causes for true diarrhea in a rabbit include: Diet (overload of carbohydrates and/or insufficient indigestible fiber) Inappropriate antibiotic use (many antibiotics are not safe for the rabbit's GI tract) Toxins from the environment such as heavy metal, toxic plants, etc."

You should also look into getting him a playpen or free roaming, really no cage provides enough space for exercise or exploring and he could become overweight, aggressive (especially if he's not fixed), fearful, and just unhappy.
A playpen will provide much more space, it's cheaper than a cage, and really doesn't take up a whole lot of space, as you can shape it to fit any area. Rabbits need at least 4 hours of free roaming time a day for exercise in a bunny proofed space. Bunny proofing is easy and cheap. Lennon The Bunny has lots of videos on all of this.

Last edited:
Have you given him any new treats, pellets, veggies, or hay? Or too many pellets? 1/4 a cup for about 4 pounds is about how much they should be feed a day. Has he been in a non bunny proofed space where he could have eaten something?
You should take him to the vet and they'll tell you what treatment is best for him.
For now stop feeding pellets, and only fresh hay. Some electrolytes in his water will help.

You should get him a bowl instead of a bottle since the nozzle it very hard to clean and can give your rabbit an infection, as well as dehydrate him. Rabbits drink about as much as a large dog does a day. This will help with the diarrhea

This is from the House Rabbit Society:
"Some common causes for true diarrhea in a rabbit include: Diet (overload of carbohydrates and/or insufficient indigestible fiber) Inappropriate antibiotic use (many antibiotics are not safe for the rabbit's GI tract) Toxins from the environment such as heavy metal, toxic plants, etc."

You should also look into getting him a playpen or free roaming, really no cage provides enough space for exercise or exploring and he could become overweight, aggressive (especially if he's not fixed), fearful, and just unhappy.
A playpen will provide much more space, it's cheaper than a cage, and really doesn't take up a whole lot of space, as you can shape it to fit any area. Rabbits need at least 4 hours of free roaming time a day for exercise in a bunny proofed space. Bunny proofing is easy and cheap. Lennon The Bunny has lots of videos on all of this.

I don't know what he got into, but he does have a play area, and he roams it from 5:30 in the morning to 8:00 at night. :)

Now that you solved it, what was the problem? Don't leave us all in suspense. Inquiring minds want to know.
The oats worked, and (this is going to sound weird) I have been looking for where he poos and when I posted that comment, it was getting solid, and now it is solid. :) I don't exactly know what the problem was, I think he might have eaten something that fell out of my pocket (like a piece of paper).

Back
Top Bottom