HELP! RAISING REJECTED CHICK!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by huntingirl, Jul 6, 2016.

1. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    two of my production red chicks hatched yesterday. they hatched under the mother naturally but one was sort of abandoned. we put the mother and her other chicks in the coop and this chick under her. he came out this morning and she stepped on him for the second time. I don't think he has splayed legs because they are straight forward, but he doesnt walk much and tries to walk on his knee area. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

2. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    it looks like maybe his right leg is hurt. he puts all his weight on his left leg. I looked at it and felt around and it seems kind of limp in the area where the knee is.

please somebody help!!!

3. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    Ok. Another one just hatched. She wasnt sitting on him. She was sitting a little off the nest...
    PLEASE SOMEONE REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Is it really hot? She might not be sitting on it because of the heat, but generally as the chicks are hatching the hen doesn't tend to chicks or fetch them. The hen expects the chicks to be strong and healthy and will abandon them if they are sickly and can't keep up when she leaves the nests.

You can either leave it and see how it goes or pull all chicks and brood them yourself. Unfortunately not every hatched chick makes it. Sorry I can't be much help. Chickens can heal up pretty good from stuff if just left alone. It's possible in a few days it might be fine.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Go ahead and set up a brooder for the chicks and it sounds like you might need to take them away from her if she is hurting them. You might can let them get on their feet for a couple days and then place them under her at night, and see if she takes to them any better the second time round. Dip their beaks in water, and show them where the food is. They'll be fine. Is your hen setting on any more eggs or have they all hatched?

Blessings -

~ Aspen

6. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    thanks yall. she was only hurting that one and we separated him with a mirror in a brooder.she killed the brand new one :( :( :(

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    This is even more reason not to serial hatch but rather to plan on all the chicks emerging about at the same time.

A hen bonds to the chicks that she sees and if chicks emerge from the egg at too late a time then that hen may take it on herself to kill some of her chicks because the time for her to bond to them has passed. Put enough eggs under your setting hens that they will sit tightly on the nest so that as many chicks as possible has a chance to pip, hatch, and rest before they have to hitch up their trousers and follow their mother around.

8. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    thankyou!!!! we are slowly accumulating this chick, we named her Catherine, back with her mother and it is going well. the mother is accepting her and protecting her.
    the only problem is shes too attachted to me. she doesn't stop peeping until I pick her up. when she does her peep while shes with the hen, she means it for me. what do I do about this? it makes me feel really bad to here her begging for me. im trying not to be a sucker![​IMG]
    Thanks so much!!!!

ive learned a lot about hatching chicks too! the dos and donts lol

9. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    so we have been trying to incorporate her with the mother, but she is still being rejected. she is doing SOOOOOOO much better though!!!!
    so am I allowed to love on her a lot and mother hen her? she is super sweet and needs a friend but cant get one because of my hen. please let me know everything!!

10. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    I'd put the chick with the other chick and let them keep each other company.... add a clean stuffed animal to the pen....
    I'd give the hurt chick some poly vi sol without iron.... to help give it strength and mend the hurt leg...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by