Help- Raspy Hen with messy bottom- brought into house - bath and next steps? Help

daisyterp

Chirping
Apr 22, 2020
Maryland
1)Blue Splash Marans hatched in July, has been laying a while- seems normal weight. 2 & 3) Very raspy (probably for 2 days) and noticed this afternoon when we were freshening water and adding pine shavings to coop that she had a messy bottom and was keeping off to the side of the flock (4) they all seem fine.) 5) No 6) We live in Maryland- north of Baltimore and have had snow on the ground for the last 2 + weeks- we let them out to free range earlier this week but they have been in their covered run more than usual.) 7) She ate (chicken feed and some scratch) after I brought her inside, her crop did seem empty when I picked her up in the coop. She didn’t drink much though. 8) She has pooped inside a few times and it seems normal to me. 9) So I brought her inside and gave her a bath- drying her off now, keeping inside overnight.
10) I would be willing to take her to a local vet who treats chickens but it’s the weekend so getting her something from Tractor Supply tomorrow is better short term.
12) She is currently in a dog carrier with a towel and nesting box pad in a spare bathroom but typically she is in a coop with deep litter method and a covered run.

Picture of her taking a snack break when I was blowing her dry.

Attachments

• 745D0C0D-3AA2-442A-9F1B-B9865EAEB3EE.jpeg
    745D0C0D-3AA2-442A-9F1B-B9865EAEB3EE.jpeg
    643 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Update- I put her to bed in a dog carrier in our spare bathroom on a towel and a nesting box pad. I was watching TV in the room and I heard her coughing? and then thrashing in the carrier- I went and got her and she was gasping. I picked her up and tried to calm her down, my husband looked down her throat when her mouth was open and could not see any obstructions. I offered her food and water and she wasn’t interested. I wiped her beak (and nares?) and she sneezed? 2x and shook her head and I couldn’t tell if chicken snot came out or what, but then she could breathe better, so I kept her calm and gently put her back into the carrier, turned off the lights to let her sleep. Is there anything else we can do? we don’t have any chicken meds on hand, can you give chickens Afrin?

where should I have her sleep?
She keeps thrashing around in this dog carrier which I have cushioning on the bottom but I’m afraid she’s going to hurt her self or break her neck
When she thrashes around

You could be dealing with 2 things at once, it’s not uncommon for chickens to be dealing with 2 diseases at once. What color is her poop? How old is she? How long has she been raspy? If she’s still laying, when’s the last time she’s laid an egg?

Sorry you are having problems. Keep us posted on her progress. One of my girls had straw stuck in her ”throat”. I could see it an was able to pull it out. I was using straw on top of our snow.
Love your bathroom. Fingers crossed.

She ended up pulling through. Her poops were fine. I don’t know if she had something stuck in her throat or if it is gapeworm? We have had horrible messy weather here so I haven’t been able to let them free range too much and be able to get a fecal sample from her (or any of the rest of them.) I was worried about her flapping around in the carrier but she was fine the following morning and I gave her some extra vitamins along with spinach and plain yogurt and she went back with the flock.
I have 10 hens who should be laying and I know she has laid but I don’t know if she is currently laying or not.
I did see one her with one of our roosters yesterday (while they were free ranging in the yard) so he thinks she is healthy enough.

Back
Top Bottom