help!! red mite outbreak!!

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,

I have had chickens for about 5 years now. I have been lucky enough to not have to deal
with mites or lice. My girls free range and spend many hours dusting so I think
for the most part they have done the job of preventing lice and mites themselves.

My luck has presumably ran out. I went out to the coop today and found my rooster
acting strange and not his usual self. upon inspection I noticed that he has many
red mites all over him. I immediately dusted him with 7 dust mixed with DE. I got deep
into his feathers all over his body. Poor thing must just be miserable because he just
let me ruffle his feathers with little fussing on his part. I feel just terrible, how did I not notice
this before.
barnie.gif

Anyway, I want to clean the coop but due to fridge temps and water spickets still frozen
due to sub zero temps it is not possible for me to clean the coop to rid of the mites. For
now I think I can do is dust them. Hence my question.

What else can I do in my present situation to help with the mites? I have dusted everyone,
my rooster seems to have it the worst of all the flock so I made sure that I put extra dusting
on him.
hu.gif

Once temps warm enough or above freezing I plan on doing a full and deep coop cleaning. For now, what can I
do to get by till then?

Any advice??

Thanks

I had the same thing happen this winter. I did the dusting with poultry dust. Since I couldn't wash out the coop, sprayed all the wood down with natural pyrethrin spray. I soaked the roast and nesting boxes, it seems to have worked as I haven't found any mites since.

I had the same thing happen this winter. I did the dusting with poultry dust. Since I couldn't wash out the coop, sprayed all the wood down with natural pyrethrin spray. I soaked the roast and nesting boxes, it seems to have worked as I haven't found any mites since.

I dusted all my girls too. I am just hoping that dusting them will be good enough for now. I wish I could wash
out the coop, but with the temps below freezing, running water through a hose is not an option right now.
I wish spring would just get here already.

Dusting and pyrethrin spray the will probably work better than water anyway....an infestation calls for breaking out the big chemical guns.

Anyone know the egg withdrawal on these chemicals you are suggesting?

Yes, Eprinex is applied by drops. You can find it at Tractor Supply, probably in the cattle medications section. Eprinex will not work as a wormer, but it sure does work on mites.

I can't remember the dose, getting old and senile....... But will pm dawg and find out.

Dawg says 1/2 cc per large fowl bird...... 1/4 cc per bantam bird

No egg withdrawal

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom