help!! red mite outbreak!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Roy Rooster, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All,

I have had chickens for about 5 years now. I have been lucky enough to not have to deal
    with mites or lice. My girls free range and spend many hours dusting so I think
    for the most part they have done the job of preventing lice and mites themselves.

My luck has presumably ran out. I went out to the coop today and found my rooster
    acting strange and not his usual self. upon inspection I noticed that he has many
    red mites all over him. I immediately dusted him with 7 dust mixed with DE. I got deep
    into his feathers all over his body. Poor thing must just be miserable because he just
    let me ruffle his feathers with little fussing on his part. I feel just terrible, how did I not notice
    this before. [​IMG]

Anyway, I want to clean the coop but due to fridge temps and water spickets still frozen
    due to sub zero temps it is not possible for me to clean the coop to rid of the mites. For
    now I think I can do is dust them. Hence my question.

What else can I do in my present situation to help with the mites? I have dusted everyone,
    my rooster seems to have it the worst of all the flock so I made sure that I put extra dusting
    on him. [​IMG]

Once temps warm enough or above freezing I plan on doing a full and deep coop cleaning. For now, what can I
    do to get by till then?

Any advice??

Thanks

2. SoonerMykah

SoonerMykah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I had the same thing happen this winter. I did the dusting with poultry dust. Since I couldn't wash out the coop, sprayed all the wood down with natural pyrethrin spray. I soaked the roast and nesting boxes, it seems to have worked as I haven't found any mites since.

3. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I dusted all my girls too. I am just hoping that dusting them will be good enough for now. I wish I could wash
    out the coop, but with the temps below freezing, running water through a hose is not an option right now.
    I wish spring would just get here already.

4. SoonerMykah

SoonerMykah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Ohhh, me too. I am serious about the pyrethrin spray though, it works.

5. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    where did you get it?

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Eprinex would work too. A few drops under the wings will do it.

7. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    can you tell me more about the Eprinex? Is it like flea and tick drops that you put on cats and dogs?
    Where do you get it and how much do you apply for a standard size bird?

thanks

8. enola

Yes, Eprinex is applied by drops. You can find it at Tractor Supply, probably in the cattle medications section. Eprinex will not work as a wormer, but it sure does work on mites.

I can't remember the dose, getting old and senile....... But will pm dawg and find out.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Dusting and pyrethrin spray the will probably work better than water anyway....an infestation calls for breaking out the big chemical guns.

Anyone know the egg withdrawal on these chemicals you are suggesting?

10. enola

Dawg says 1/2 cc per large fowl bird...... 1/4 cc per bantam bird

No egg withdrawal

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by