HELP! Red strings in my chick's poop?! (Pic post #10)

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
At first it looked like blood, uh oh. Cocci? No. After playing around with the poo the red strings were NOT blood. They were just red...well.. red, squishy, strecthy, strings! Sometimes there was one red string, and sometimes there were as many as 10 strings. When streched all the way they are maybe 1/4 of an inch. Are these worms? The red made me think gapeworm...but my chicks havn't showed any signs of distress, coughing, panting or anything like that. But I have to assume that these strings are indeed, worms. How do I get rid of them? Would I need to deworm all 8 of my chicks? But most of all....how the heck do you deworm 2 1/2 week old chicks? I have some horse dewormer...ivermectin, but how would I not over dose a chick with medicine ment for a 1200 pound horse!? What should I do? These strings showed up a few days ago....and only now am I seeing them more often.

Last edited:
Yes, please get a pic
smile.png

Sounds like worms, were these your own eggs, bought eggs or bought chicks?

I believe cayenne pepper can be used as a wormer, but never tried it myself.

Last edited:
It is worms. I would treat the whole flock.

I am not sure of the dosage for such young chicks, though. I used Ivermectin paste for my adult birds. I used a 1 inch strip of paste dissolved in a gallon of water and that was their only water source for 3 days.

If you can post a pic, that would be most helpful. In answer to your question re worming, yes, if one has worms, they all do, so you will need to worm them all. I'm not sure what kind of wormer to recommend. I've seen Wazine at the feed store that I believe is a wormer for swine and poultry.

I've just about searched every poop with strings in it, I threw them away though. In the next few hours if any strings appear I'll get a picture, though it may not be the best. The chicks were bought from a poorly cleaned feed store, I wouldn't be surprised if they contracted worms there.

Back
Top Bottom