Help Roo Attacked Me, Leg In Major Pain/red..mine

2txmedics

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Manvel Texas
Ok the other day I posted saying I was having problems with my roo...so I came on here and tried doing what others had suggested: cesar milan techique...well cant get near my roo, he wont let me walks away...and no I had no fear of him...yes, Ive tried whopping him good but not really hurt him. so today I was caught off guard, cleaning and feeding...he came me!!! I in defense put my leg up in time to cover my chest/face...and as you can see he did damage.

36033_roo.jpg
doesnt look like much here Im sure but it is...several punctures on my legs front and back. Now its turning a bright red and I have massive pain, cant even put weight on my leg to walk. I did clean the wounds, and put antibiotics...looks like infection is setting in. Any ideas on what to do here??? Alot of swelling and heavy bruising coming in...and yes now Im nervous with him...I walked in again, and I grabbed a rake, he ran...front of the leg is another gash doing down my leg

here's the link I posted before

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=260520

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with this as well. You can't be expected to watch him constantly...you shouldn't have to. If you have other Roos, I would hate to think that they might see his behavior as acceptable. Hope you heal up well.

Ouch! Sorry this happened to you. Have you seen your doctor yet? If the punctures were more than skin deep (looks like it), you could need oral antibiotics to deal with infection, maybe a tetanus shot, too.

Chopping block...stew pot... Those are nasty wounds, ones you shouldn't suffer twice. You'll find some fine roosters out there, but this isn't one of them! Quick!! ~G

Quote:
Agreed. And as my DH would say, that rooster would be decapitated and skinned before his heart even had a chance to stop beating.

Yikes!
sad.png
I was also attacked by a rooster once, and only once. He went to the processing center after that. I felt bad because he was good looking and very protective of his girls. The thing to remember is that this time it was your leg, next time it could be much worse. I'd definately recommend seeing a doctor, but if not... certainly ice it to reduce swelling. I have found that sometimes a warm water soak with epsom salt helps relieve discomfort too, it helped when I was bitten by a cat. Goodluck!! What kind of roosterw as it and what age?

Well can you believe I kept him out of 6 others because he was the most gentle of them!!!! and here we are 5mos after the other roos left and then this started 2mos ago....a few said that maybe it got to his head that he is top dog, and that I cant be angry for him doing his job of protecting his harem...its in them to protect. Others said try the cesar milan method, submission, well I cant get close to him, he runs and hides....so thought if I could catch him put him ALONE in a smaller run all alone...see if that helps...

But I was so angry today that after I popped him good, I wanted to open the run and let him out to free range, and just deal with it ...being out...but there's cats in the area, and I was afraid he would die a horrible death...

THIS IS BIG DADDY....Leghorn

36033_dsc_0759.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard of people having a long, cane-like apparatus to hook thier legs with. My daughter was throwing a towel over ours or putting a box over him before we gave him away to get the eggs out of the coop. I hope you heal up nicely!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom