HELP! roo with SEVERE eye swelling

Sorry your roo is having problems. I found this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=88035&p=1

Does
that sound like what your rooster is going through? I thought it might help. In the thread, someone recommends eye drops called 1 Eye 1 Drop, or something like that, sold by Poultry Man supply. I guess it couldn't hurt if you want to do anything to save him. I've never used it and I'm still a newbie, so don't take my word on anything. Anyway, I hope you and your rooster find some help. Please keep us updated.

Probably infectious coryza, even if you cure him he remains a carrier. Put him out of his misery. I am so sorry your bird contracted this.

Quote:
Don't fly the handle. There are still other possiblities. Can you use a cool damp Clean washcloth and lay it over the swollen areas? May help with his discomfort. Poor baby. I would tey and stay out of his way, just let him try and do the best he can. You can see from the vet's attempt to aspirate, that what we think is best, doesn't always help. Let the vet get his wits and Let the rooster fight his battle. Try to make him more comfortible but do not interfer much. Nature knows what she's doing.
hugs.gif

I'm no expert but I would apply a warm compress to that scabby area and maybe see if the scab will come off. If that swelling is full of pus then that has to come out in order for him to get any better. I would try and get the pus out of there otherwise it will delay the healing process and I'm sure he'd feel a lot better with the relief from that pressure from the swelling!

Sending healing thoughts for your brave roo! You are such a good chicken mama!

Quote:
I agree. You stated, "stinky and miserable." A clear sign "stinky" of coryza. You can treat with sulmet or cull. I recommend that you cull; it is contegeous and your bird will remain a carrier for life. Sulmet is very harsh on their system, I dont think he could handle it nor any other meds for that matter without severe side effects or internal organ damage possibly causing death due to his size and weight loss.

Hi all, I've seen small improvements in Dilbert's eyes but now I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of a way to completely flush out sinuses....His seem to be so infected that the infection is hard and can't easily be removed. Can I stick a q tip up in his mouth and not hurt him? What about somehow flushing it? Thanks in advance...

Back
Top Bottom