Help!!! Rooster almost killed my best hen " Big Momma"

This is my rooster " Fog Horn Leg Horn". This picture is already over a month old and he has gotten much bigger.

Im sorry to hear about Big Momma. I have a very agressive rooster but he has never attacked a hen. even when the mating gets more agressive then usual. i think something else did it. if you live in an area with hawks that could be a source. roosters are so protective of their flock I just dont see him doing it unless she got in the way of him mating another hen? I'll pray for Big Momma :)

I've had roosters before that just weren't compatible with certain hens. They would be fine with most and just didn't like one.

Last edited:
Wow, I had no idea that they would do that. Sorry about big Momma! Hope she is better soon. As for fog horn leg horn, he may need to be chicken soup:(

Shocking hmm there was of particular strain of leghorn here in Australia that was vicious think it all but bred out now their nickname was rapist roos one way to spot the strain they didn't display. They were known to kill hens by pecking their brain out. They didn't call their girls over for food either. I say upgrade maybe an older more experienced roo.

Are you sure big momma isn't a roo in hiding? that colouring looks fairly light to be a hen, could be wrong but do you have some full body shots and perhaps a pic before the attack? How old are your chooks?

Yes Big Momma was definitely a hen, she was one of my best egg layers, she laid nice big brown eggs almost daily. Unfortunately, I had to put her down last night, the wounds were too severe, she stopped eating and having only one eye she would just walk in circles.

Today I was watching the chickens interact with the rooster and they all seemed to be getting along just fine, no aggressive behavior towards any of the hens. However, Fog Horn Leg Horn is going to be on thin ice for a long long time.

Back
Top Bottom