Help rooster attack on new chick!!

No, attacking baby chicks is not the rooster's job. The rooster's job is to protect.
My rooster would never attack a chick. He knows that's not his job, he knows his job is to protect them. That's how most roosters are.
Inexperience.. Nature is a cruel Mother and or Father.. and you haven't met mine. Mother Nature.

I'm sorry, but I also think that chick is too far gone to fix, and most likely was right after the attack.

If it makes you feel better to spend hundreds of dollars on what is most likely going to be the same end, please do so. I understand wanting to try everything you can first, and if a vet visit keeps you from second guessing, that's ok.

If it was mine, I would put it down. That poor thing can't be comfortable and making it suffer isn't right. I had to euthanize a two day old chick this week. Not fun, but it was over fast, and was the right thing to do.

x2, I'm really sorry about your chick. If it was me I would put it down. It's a major part of chicken keeping, you have to be able to euthanize a suffering bird. This bird will never be able to live a full, happy life like a normal chicken, and that alone convinces me that you should end its suffering. Also, if your rooster ever charges or chases a chick again, I would invite him to the crock pot. I would have eaten him right when that happened, but maybe it's just me. I would never tolerate that behavior from my
Yeah I had brought that up recently actually... It’s just really tough. I’m 22 and these are my first animals I’m raising so I’m not used to having to slaughter them. My dog killed and ate my favorite chicken last month and I was just devastated I still feel so guilty I couldn’t protect her. I don’t have emotional attachment to my roosters (I have a buff and a mixed , one was supposed to be a hen but I ended up with 2) but I would not feel good about slaughtering him🙁

I'm sorry, but I also think that chick is too far gone to fix, and most likely was right after the attack.

If it makes you feel better to spend hundreds of dollars on what is most likely going to be the same end, please do so. I understand wanting to try everything you can first, and if a vet visit keeps you from second guessing, that's ok.

If it was mine, I would put it down. That poor thing can't be comfortable and making it suffer isn't right. I had to euthanize a two day old chick this week. Not fun, but it was over fast, and was the right thing to do.
I understand, it’s not fair for the chick to live a miserable life. If it will truly not help then I don’t want to get veterinary care, that actually seems really ridiculous for a chicken... I just feel like it’s life is worth more than an inconvenience for me. But it just may be too late for that unfortunately.

I understand, it’s not fair for the chick to live a miserable life. If it will truly not help then I don’t want to get veterinary care, that actually seems really ridiculous for a chicken... I just feel like it’s life is worth more than an inconvenience for me. But it just may be too late for that unfortunately.
If you really want to make sure that a vet can’t do anything, you should call one and explain the situation.

Back
Top Bottom