Help! Rooster attacking me

How old is he? Mine started out as sweet as yours and at around 16 weeks, he bit my foot a couple times. I tapped him hard on the back and he backed off.
I was scared he would get worse and was ready to get rid of him. Even posted him on a couple of fb groups.
Then one day we brought home 4 young chicks and put them in a wire crate in the run. The older girls immediately started pecking at them. Hank pushed his way in between the girls and the crate and stopped them.
After opening the crate, he continued to protect the littles. He also protects the girls from the subordinate cockerel who can get a little rough when trying to mate.
I am so glad I didn't get rid of him. He is such a good boy and knows his job. I respect him and he respects me.
We just had to have a couple of conversations about his attitude.
I know this doesn't always work but if he is young, it may be worth another chance.
IMG_20180830_103201117.jpg

Often, the 'friendliest' cockerels turn out to be the most human aggressive ones. They are too bold, and don't respect humans, and are too stupid to be nice to the giants who bring food. It's about genetics, and sometimes handling, and it does happen.
If you have tried 'retraining' him and failed, or especially if you have visitors, or small children, he needs to be dinner sooner, not later.
Polite roosters are wonderful, and jerks taste really good.
Mary

In the wild, being smart pays off too. Roosters, and many male birds of many species, are very brightly colored, and dance for the ladies to attract breeding females of their species. They aren't wasting their time stalking very large animals of other species, they are busy defending territory from other males of their own species, and attracting the breeding females.
Mary

Often, the 'friendliest' cockerels turn out to be the most human aggressive ones. They are too bold, and don't respect humans, and are too stupid to be nice to the giants who bring food. It's about genetics, and sometimes handling, and it does happen.
If you have tried 'retraining' him and failed, or especially if you have visitors, or small children, he needs to be dinner sooner, not later.
Polite roosters are wonderful, and jerks taste really good.
Mary
This is too true, I've learned my lesson the hard way from trying to cuddle and pet young roos, they grow up to view you as part of their flock who they have to put in the pecking order! So as soon as I can tell the sex of new chicks I stop playing with the males.
I have a young roo, a porcelain d'uccle who I raised who is about 5 months old and for about a month has been attacking us terrible, I have put him in his place many times, (tried tons of ways each day!) He never would stop so I got mad 2 weeks ago and put him in with an older rooster who I had separated out of the adult flock because he was too aggressive to his hens, anyway I put the rotten young guy in with him for just 1 minute, he got the tar beat out of him, I took him out shortly after he surrendered and before he got too beat up, no bleeding or anything I promise,
I know, this was pretty evil of me, but it worked! He has not even fluttered one wing at me for two weeks, or even crowed when I'm out there. I can feed and water without fear of him attacking me now! He runs away as far all he can get.

So do i have to kill him?
I would try to give him away first if you are loathe to kill him, unless you will be eating him so he's not wasted. Put an ad out on your local Craigslist or its equivalent, saying his breed and that he's aggressive, some times I can actually sell roos this way because sometimes people need a certain breed to breed with, or to protect their flock.
Or if you don't want to kill him, at least someone else would do it if you give him to someone who wants a nice meal...

Back
Top Bottom