Help rooster has swollen face

Sk8rgurl

Hatching
Aug 21, 2019
I have a rooster, who's right side of face is slightly swollen, loss of feather, itchy not sure what it is. Its warm to touch but I assume is cause of itching it.

Attachments

• 20190821_192931.jpg
    20190821_192931.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190821_192637.jpg
    20190821_192637.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 6

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Have you checked for lice or mites? It is possible that he might have a fungal infection called favus. If there are no mites or lice, you could try applying an antifungal cream daily. Clotrimazole can be found at Dollar Tree for $1, and you can also use Miconazole or Monistat.

One other possibility is that he is getting feather picked by his flock. I don’t know about the swelling. That can sometimes be from a sinus infection and respiratory disease. Does he have any sneezing or nasal drainage, or any gunk in his eyes? Would it be possible to get some pictures a little farther back to show his whole head?

Sk8rgurl

Hatching
Aug 21, 2019
Hi, he is not being picked on by the flock. He is the only rooster with 3 hen's and now he is the father of 6 babies. He is always scratching himself with his feet. He sometimes itches and falls over and looks like he is doing the shake and bake. I am at a loss as he isnt sneezing, no drainage or anything like that. I assume no mites as the rest are all fine. He is losing feathers around his neck, butt and face.

Sk8rgurl

Hatching
Aug 21, 2019
Have you checked for lice or mites? It is possible that he might have a fungal infection called favus. If there are no mites or lice, you could try applying an antifungal cream daily. Clotrimazole can be found at Dollar Tree for $1, and you can also use Miconazole or Monistat.

One other possibility is that he is getting feather picked by his flock. I don’t know about the swelling. That can sometimes be from a sinus infection and respiratory disease. Does he have any sneezing or nasal drainage, or any gunk in his eyes? Would it be possible to get some pictures a little farther back to show his whole head?

Sk8rgurl

Hatching
Aug 21, 2019
Hi, he is not being picked on by the flock. He is the only rooster with 3 hen's and now he is the father of 6 babies. He is always scratching himself with his feet. He sometimes itches and falls over and looks like he is doing the shake and bake. I am at a loss as he isnt sneezing, no drainage or anything like that. I assume no mites as the rest are all fine. He is losing feathers around his neck, butt and face.

Top Bottom