Help!!!rooster Limping And Very Red Feet- Pics Included

misty51

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Gainesville
Hi my rooster is limping very badly today and his feet are very red and sore looking. His feet have been this way for a while but the last 3 days they have looked even redder. I looked on BYC a while ago and some posts say that roosters with red feet is a hormone thing so I thought maybe it is that, but I have a hen and her feet are red also and have been for a while. I treated for worms with epernix a month ago, I have cleaned the coop and sprayed for mites and put pultry powder on the hen and her feet are still red. Very frustrated! I have natural tree branches stripped of bark for roosts. The hen is sleeping in a large (very large) layng box now with 2 others and her feet are still red in the morning. They seem to get a little better looking during the day, so is it mites or lice biting on her at night? I also put vaseline on her feet for scaley leg mites but it did not help the redness. And now my rooster is limping !! HERE IS THE HENS FEET
83207_dsc04668.jpg

THE ROOSTERS
83207_dsc04672.jpg

83207_dsc04671.jpg

That looks like bumble foot. Google bumble foot as there is a surgey you need to perform n order to save them. Bumble foot is a staph infectin and can also be caused by something like a splinter or nail digging into the foot. Have they perched on anything that is metl or plastic, a childs plaframe, bench, flower pot etc.?

My roos feet are red too. He only get's red when it is very muddy in the run, which it has been raining non stop the past month. I think it's from all the muck and not having dry ground to step on most of the time (I let the mout to free range more because of the muddy-ness).

My Barred Rock Roos legs are nearly red-orange since he's "become a man". It's almost a neon orange color....weird but normal, and he's not limping. If his joints are swollen it could be gout, esp if he's an older guy.

i am so glad thisis onhere

my BO betty is the same ,
she doesnt limp or anything but ever now and again i see her legs are red , she sleeps onthe floor she is too big a girl for the roost and hates it alot!
i do hope there are answeres

I see no bumblefoot on his feet. I do notice my adult roos have red in their feet and legs. If he's a big boy, maybe he hurt himself jumping off the roost.

Thanks for all the reply's. I know it is not bumblefoot, there is no black spot on the bottom of his feet. I thought maybe it was because the ground is so dewy and wet in the mornings but their feet are very red in the morning when I let them out of the coop before they get on the wet grass and they get less red thru out the day. I am back to thinking parasites biting at night and maybe the rooster sprained his foot jumping of the roost. Last night I put the poultry powder on the rooster and hen and maybe their feet weren't as red this morning, but my rooster is still limping.I guess I will keep trying that and vaseline to soothe the redness.

Back
Top Bottom