Help rooster with gooey eyes?

hopeelizabeth

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2015
Pennsylvania
My 2 year old partial silkie rooster has black spots on his head. He also has gooey eyes. I put vetrx on his head and isolated him but he won't eat. Any help
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hello, I'm not exactly sure of what you have there. I think maybe it's fowl pox. There is an excellent article in the learning center on fowl pox. You really need help from casportpony or eggsessive - those two are sharp with diseases. You could try pm' ing them, good luck and please let me know what it is and how it goes,
fl.gif

It doesn't look like fowl pox to me, but a rooster that has been attacked and pecked. The black marks are dried blood. As I said in your other thread, his eyes could be swollen with drainage due to his injuries or from a respiratory disease. If he has a respiratory disease, he may have coughing, nasal drainage, and rattling breathing. Birds who are sick may be attacked by the flock. Do you think he is sick, or that he got attacked by another flock member? When there is another rooster, there can be extreme aggression.

He doesn't seem sick bit he isn't as happy as normal . He was fine just the other day. I gave him the vetrx and isolated him is their anything I can do now? His eyes are pussy and I am having trouble cleaning them. Could the swelling be from testosterone since its the start of spring? Thank you so much I was so worried that it was fowl pox
1f601.png
1f60a.png
1f413.png
1f423.png
1f424.png
1f426.png

I would clean the eyes with saline, and apply either Terramycin eye ointment, Vetericyn eye gel, or plain triple antibiotic ointment to his eyes twice a day. Night time when he is resting on the roost would be a good time to handle him. Have you seen him getting bullied or fighting? If you have other roosters, I would separate them.

Back
Top Bottom