Help Rosie can't walk!

Chickenaddiction2021

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
Thank for reading my post. I'm currently attempting to upload a video of Rosie taken yesterday. In the meantime this is Rosie's story. 12 days ago, April 4th 2021 we noticed Rosie wasn't moving around. She was sitting on her hocks in the grass during her supervised free range time with her two silkie coop mates (1 hen and 1 roo). We've only had our chickens about 3 weeks at that point so I was panicked and headed to the emergency after hours clinic in Guelph. We were there for 8 hours. They took xrays and ruled out egg bound and ruled out impacted crop. They sent me home with 4 days worth of Metacam for pain. She's not gotten any worse. She's eating well, I feed her laymash in warm water to create a mash and I sprinkle Nutritional Yeast on it with a crushed vitamin B12. I've been giving her electrolytes in her water. She's under a heat lamp in our laundry room in a large dog crate. She moves around when she poops to stay clean. She sits up on her hocks when she eats and attempts to stand, then gently using her wings for support lies back down. She's bright eyed, and seems very content. I've been doing physio with her daily to keep her legs, feet and toes moving. She was dewormed using Ivermectin pour-on April 3rd. (Could the Ivermectin have anything to do with it). I was going to give all of my chickens a 2nd dose of it today but wondering if I should omit Rosie?

How old is Rosie? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Can you start her on some B complex vitamins in case of a riboflavin deficiency? I had a hen who was 8 years old and vaccinated for Mareks, who for 5 weeks, could not stand without falling over or backward. She recovered after being handfed and watered. When she died 18 months later, her necropsy showed masses in her abdomen, and possibly cancer.

Mareks disease can look like your hen’s symptoms. It is more common to affect them in the first 8 months of life, but can occur in any bird after being exposed to a carrier. If you should lose her or put her down, you can get testing or a necropsy from a poultry lab.

IMG_20210414_155101.jpg

How old is Rosie? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Can you start her on some B complex vitamins in case of a riboflavin deficiency? I had a hen who was 8 years old and vaccinated for Mareks, who for 5 weeks, could not stand without falling over or backward. She recovered after being handfed and watered. When she died 18 months later, her necropsy showed masses in her abdomen, and possibly cancer.

Mareks disease can look like your hen’s symptoms. It is more common to affect them in the first 8 months of life, but can occur in any bird after being exposed to a carrier. If you should lose her or put her down, you can get testing or a necropsy from a poultry lab.
She was not vaccinated and she is 8 months old. Would she not get progressively worse with Marek's?

I feel like I'm really in a corner. If there's no way of knowing until she passed whether it's Marek's or not, this basically means I cannot introduce more chickens to our flock, and in the meantime am left to wonder if they will all perish... I'm just beside myself. Any advice on moving forward?

Back
Top Bottom