HELP!! Rough Rooster Hurt Hen! What To Do!!! *graphic-ish photos*

how do you archive this.... it might come in handy down the road

Hi, I've dealt with this injury twice in the last three years. If you want to sew the wound shut, I can tell you how to do it.
First, get a simple sewing needle and some white sewing thread. Also an old dark colored sock and some newspaper and an old towel or t-shirt.
Get some betadine, and an eye dropper.
1. wrap the chicken up gently in the T-shirt and lay her in your lap or a work surface on some newspaper.
2. put the sock over the chickens head, make a small hole in it for her beak so that she can breath.
3. using an eye dropper, put several droppers full of betadine inside and outside the wound and under the loose skin.
Saturate the area thouroughly.
4. Using a threaded needle, with a knot at the end, begin to sew the wound shut making 1/4 inch stiches. The birds usually are fairly quiet during this process. The dark sock will "put her to sleep" while you work. Continue to sew the wound shut and be sure to make a knot on the beginning and the end of the first and last suture.
5. After you are finished, clip off the threaded needle and put another dropper full of betadine on the wound.
6. If you can, get some Penicillin G. Procaine and give her a dose to help fight off the infection.
Keep her in a dark room for a couple of hours and let the shock wear off a bit.
Offer her some Jello-water three Tbs. of Jello with a dash of table salt. They love strawberry or raspberry flavored (Not Sugar Free.
She should start perking up after a few hours. Keep her separate from the rest of the flock until she heals completely.
I hope this helps. I have done this several times for different injuries over the years.

Back
Top Bottom