HELP!runt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Burbs03, Jun 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Burbs03

Burbs03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2017
    My little Cochin chick looks like she did two and a half weeks ago she is still very tiny and my two other Araucana chicks are way bigger than her and have way more feathers than she does. what should I do? she looks like a newborn compared to the otherchicks

2. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Sometimes, some chicks are bit slow to start out. Does she seem healthy? Is she active, curious, eating and drinking? I've had a few that were a bit slow to mature, but they got there eventually, although they always stated smaller than their flockmates. If she stays small and fails to thrive, you can try adding a little water to her feed and making a mash out of it to see if that helps her out. Are you giving her chick starter/grower?

3. Beatrice&Maple

Beatrice&Maple Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2017
    I don't know for sure, but if she seems fine otherwise then I wouldn't worry. I have a rooster who was tiny for a long time, but now he's enormous.

4. Burbs03

Mar 8, 2017
    I'm just worried, she/he (I hope it isn't a boy, I already got one) had a sister that died a two weeks ago a week after i got them, she was the same breed.

5. Burbs03

Mar 8, 2017
    Here she is with the Aracauna chicks *she is a few days older than the feathered ones: IMG_5341.JPG IMG_5347.JPG

6. adstowe

adstowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Colorado
    I had a buff orpington who was the same size as the others as day olds, but just failed to grow from there. When they were in the scraggly looking "dinosaur" phase she still looked like a chick. Eventually she caught up and wound up not only being the same size as the others, but the lead hen too. I wouldn't worry.

7. Burbs03

Mar 8, 2017
    Ok thanks :hugs I was worried that something was wrong with her because, as i said, her sister died because she was a runt and got hurt during shipping:(

8. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Barring other mishaps, I think she'll be fine :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by