HELP!runt?

Burbs03

Chirping
Mar 8, 2017
My little Cochin chick looks like she did two and a half weeks ago she is still very tiny and my two other Araucana chicks are way bigger than her and have way more feathers than she does. what should I do? she looks like a newborn compared to the otherchicks

My little Cochin chick looks like she did two and a half weeks ago she is still very tiny and my two other Araucana chicks are way bigger than her and have way more feathers than she does. what should I do? she looks like a newborn compared to the otherchicks

Sometimes, some chicks are bit slow to start out. Does she seem healthy? Is she active, curious, eating and drinking? I've had a few that were a bit slow to mature, but they got there eventually, although they always stated smaller than their flockmates. If she stays small and fails to thrive, you can try adding a little water to her feed and making a mash out of it to see if that helps her out. Are you giving her chick starter/grower?

I don't know for sure, but if she seems fine otherwise then I wouldn't worry. I have a rooster who was tiny for a long time, but now he's enormous.

I'm just worried, she/he (I hope it isn't a boy, I already got one) had a sister that died a two weeks ago a week after i got them, she was the same breed.

Here she is with the Aracauna chicks *she is a few days older than the feathered ones:
IMG_5341.JPG
IMG_5347.JPG

I had a buff orpington who was the same size as the others as day olds, but just failed to grow from there. When they were in the scraggly looking "dinosaur" phase she still looked like a chick. Eventually she caught up and wound up not only being the same size as the others, but the lead hen too. I wouldn't worry.

Ok thanks :hugs I was worried that something was wrong with her because, as i said, her sister died because she was a runt and got hurt during shipping:(

Back
Top Bottom