Help! Screaming chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kptwin, May 28, 2016.

1. kptwin

kptwin Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    I moved my chicks to their lovely new run and coop today. They did great in their run. Happy, dusting, scratching, snacking. I put them in their coop for the evening and 4 out of the five settled right in. The 5th, my dominique, who is normally mellow and easy going, is screaming like she is being led to slaughter! I used the same bedding I use in their brooder, they aren't cold.... I am stumped. If it is stress, will it harm her? Is this normal? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks so much!

2. 3 chicks farm

3 chicks farm Just Hatched

May 15, 2016
    I'm thinking she is just scared. Hope all works out

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's hard to know what's going on with your chick since we aren't there to see the scene.

I currently have four three-week old chicks. They are a pretty tight unit, and move around the large run usually in tight formation. Once in a while, a bully adult will cut off one chick from the other three, and she will panic and screech and screech until she manages to locate the other three again.

Chicks also will panic when placed in an unfamiliar new environment. Did the rest of the chicks somehow duck out of the sight of this panicking chick? That would be my guess as to why the sound effects. Once she found her mates, she should have quieted right down.

On the other hand, if this chick continues to scream non-stop, then it may be in pain.

4. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Chicks scream for many, many, many, MANY, reasons, and they typically refuse to tell us why.

We constantly are moving them around into different brooders, pens, runs etc., and only pay attention if they squawk for more than 24 hours. And, sometimes they just squawk for reasons only known to them.

Just watch the one in question and make sure it's eating/drinking/pooping. Stress won't kill them directly, but one of the previously mentioned will if they don't.

You don't need to stress either! [​IMG] Chickens are actually very resilient creatures, even though they complain a lot...

5. mikeldb

mikeldb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    carrollton ga
    I have one that loves to be held and every time I put it back into the brood er it does this, I pick it back up and coo to it and then set it back and it's fine ..jmo but I agree probably just scared try giving it some extra attention bf you put it up

6. Sherloki

Sherloki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Texas
    I have a little Cochin, that got left outside when everyone wandered into the coop. She sat there screaming until one of my RIRs popped its head out, and she scrambled up after it.

7. cutiechook1

cutiechook1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Sittin' at the computer!
    Oh My!! Chickens can scream for TONS of reasons!! She is most likely scared and nervous and just needs to get used to the environment.

8. kptwin

May 2, 2016
    Thank you everyone. I think she has just been the slowest to adjust. See isn't noisy now just a bit more standoffish than before. She is getting extra attention and improving.

9. WildCochinReba

WildCochinReba Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    Sounds like one of my Cochin chick. Lol.

10. kptwin

May 2, 2016
    I am happy to report they have all settled in. I had to block of the laying boxes and encourage roosting but that went smoothly. My screamer girl has however proven to be rather nervous and skittish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by