HELP! Second hen to get bloating/green feces, emaciated breast

NorthGAChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
I took her to the vet when I noticed her breast meat disappeared but her weight stayed the same. They did a fecal test and found cocci and whipworm - we did treatment and I took feces back and cocci was down to 1 (from 2-4) and whipworms were gone. She is getting more bloated; her barely any mass in feces/green/liquidy never changed either. He's not a chicken vet, aren't any. Still $130 and she is no better for it. Now the fluid is getting so profound her belly is bigger and she sounds like she's getting a respiratory rattle.
My other hen who did this we culled in July after giving her bath and finding a huge hole in her under her vent filled with maggots. This must be some kind of gut rot that antibiotics only make worse. Anyone have a clue?????

Does this one have maggots under her vent? It's called flystrike. I guess she's not eating? Maybe take her back to the vet. Sounds like she may need food water and an antibiotic. She may have periotonitis or another infection.

I have Baytril capsules, but what is metronidazole and where do I get it and do I do both together, is that what you were saying Casportpony?

I have not bathed her to see if she has any holes, that's how I found them on the other one. Flystrike? Never heard of it. Vet does goats and horses and cows, doesn't know chickens, only good for feces screening and didn't catch this. She is eating, just not putting meat back on breast, retaining water and bloating, green runny small amount of feces. What is the treatment for periotonitis? Is that what would bring the flystrike on is the rotting flesh from that?

Should I treat all of them or just the ones with the green feces?

Thank you for your help! I have feed stores, can I get these items at a basic feed store?

They were just dewormed for whip worm and treated 6 days on sulfamexodine for cocci. Neither seemed to change this bloating problem. Now the rooster is getting thin in the breast, too.

I found metronidazole and it's also called flagyl and a search in Twin City Poultry for flagyl came up H-6-6 Canker/Blackhead Limited Supply - is that right? What would be the dosage for the canker/blackhead for periotonitis in a 6 lb. hen?

Last edited:
You can do both baytril and metronidazole together, but don't buy from Twin City Poultry, have your vet call in a prescription to a pharmacy or buy a bottle of fish-Zole from some plac like Valley Vet. Those two drugs together will treat just about all bacteria she might have in her intestines and/or abdominal cavity. Metronidazole dose should be 50mg per 2.2 pounds twice a day for 10-14 days. Baytril is trickier... Longer than 5 days and there is a good chance she'll get a fungal infection like yeast.

How many Baytril tabs do you have and what mg are they?

-Kathy

Sorry, I see your post says 6 pounds, so your hen would get 1/2 a 250mg tab twice a day for 10-14 days. Twin City's dosing instructions are wrong, so ignore them.

-Kathy

I have: 1) 100 Baytril Tablets 22.7% - it says 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily for 5 to 8 days only. I paid $71.95 to Twin City Poultry for the Baytril.
2) 13 Canker-Blackhead Tablets (I posted above from Twin City Poultry H-6-6) flagyl - it says 1 tablet per bird for 1 day only.

When you say above "1/2 a 250 mg tab twice a day for 10-14 days" is that the Baytril or the blackhead/metronidazole?
Do you think since it's Sunday I should wait until I try to convince the vet to give me a prescription? Or should I do the Baytril and Blackhead that I have?

Thanks Kathy!

Your Baytril tablets are 22.7mg per pill.

Did Twin City say 1/4 to 1/2 Baytril tab per day? Your hen weighs 6 pounds, right? Six pounds is 2.72kg and the smallest dose of Baytril given to birds is 10mg per kg, so based on that, your hen should get 27.2mg, which is more than one pill.

The metronidazole dosing listed on the Twin City website is wrong, but if you have 13 250mg pills you can use them like I suggested, 1/2 pill twice a day for 10-14 days. Canker and blackhead treatment is once a day for five days. Not sure where they got that misinformation, but trust me, it is wrong!

-Kathy

FYI,I suggested metronidazole for a possible clostridial infection, not blackhead or canker, and Baytril for E. coli peritonitis. Not saying that's what's going on, but it sure could be. You should also know that I have used both drugs the way I suggested *many* times and the doses are what my vet recommended.

-Kathy

Yes Kathy - they have struggled with cocci for a long time! And whip worm! Corid would work while they were on it and then quickly return. It took the sulfa stuff for six days.
According to the last fecal sample they are better, but it probably caused some damage. she had this emaciated body mass and bloating before that treatment and it didn't improve this serious issue.
Should I only treat her and not the others?

Yes, it said 1/4 to 1/2 per day but nothing to do with weight that's just how it came-Baytrill
So...
Baytril - if it's 27.2 and one pill is 22.7 so I would do 1 and 1/4 pill for 10-14 days AND SIMULTANEOUSLY...
do Flagyl 1/2 pill TWICE A DAY for 10-14 days???

I don't know if the other is 250mg, here's the info from the site...
H-6-6 Canker/Blackhead Limited Supply

$18.95

(Metronidazlole) also Flagyl Anti-Canker medicine with a wide safety margin and safe to use during breeding, molting and during active periods. 1 tablet a day for 1 day. Sometimes it's packaged as Fish Zole so pet shops can sell it over the counter.
Black head usually one tablet will also work
25 count bottle. EXTREME Limited supply!
THANK YOU!

Back
Top Bottom