HELP! Second hen to get bloating/green feces, emaciated breast

All metronidazole I have seen in the US is 250mg, so probably safe to assume that's what you have. Can you talk to your vet about Baytril dosing? Most of the time my vets have me give it or just five days, but one time they did tell me to give it for 10, so I'd feel better if your vet could offer their advice on it. Heck, they might suggest giving it twice a day, but 1 & 1/4 sounds about right.

Are you sure she weighs six pounds?

-Kathy

There is also Ronidazole that is powder in the water if you think I should treat all of them or at least the ones with green feces....but all of their instructions seem to be for pigeons and that's probably why it's wrong dosage and that's probably why nothing I've used worked all the way for 1-1/2 years!!!
Do you know anything about this product...
Ronidazole (same family as metronidazole: Twin City Poultry...
E-2-1 4 in 1 Powder 100 Grams New Product!
$24.95
A broad spectrum, safe powder for the treatment of Salmonella (Paratyphoid) E-coli, Coccidiosis and Canker. Contains higher percentage of Ronidazole. The highest quality ingredients are supplied at an affordable price. Treat pigeons for 5 days when any of the above diseases is suspected and a firm diagnosis cannot be made. The powder contains Ronidazole 10% and Furaltadone 15mg. If respiratory symptoms exist, may be combined with Spiradox. Powder - 1 scoop (included) to a gallon of drinking water for 7 continuous days. For more effectiveness combine with Entromune for the full 7 days. Change water daily. Add 1 teaspoon to a gallon of drinking water for 7 days, change daily..

Yes, she weighs six lbs but I think it's mostly the fluids she is retaining, but that has been her weight consistently. That's why I didn't notice it in the last one - that one and this one came from an auction house on my birthday over two years ago. I'll check with the vet on Monday, but I already paid him $130 for an exam/fecal tests/wormer and when I told him the whipworm and cocci treatment didn't help, he said watch her and do post-mortem with poultry diagnostics - nice.

I started it this morning. Baytril 1-1/4 and metronidazole 1/2 tablet

I'll see if the moron vet will at least look up a dosage. No one cares about chickens here in the country - no money in it.

Kathy - one more question - what exactly do I tell the vet I'm trying to treat for the swollen belly, starvation, green feces (that I brought into him and paid for a separate fecal matter test) to get the dosage for baytril and metronidazole?
And I apologize for the last comment - he did find the whip worms and that surely helped.

Ask him about the possibility of E.coli peritonitis and/or a clostridial infection. I'm not saying that she has either, but if you've ruled out coccidiosis and worms, it's probably the only thing you can try other than an anti-fungal. If she doesn't respond to this treatment, outlook for her is grim. Keep in mind that both Baytril is banned for use in poultry and metronidazole is banned for used in all food animals, but I'm gonna uses that you're more interested in trying to save her, right?

-Kathy

She's not laying any more any way and we wouldn't eat her, so I'm thinking it's worth trying to save her and if she starts laying again in a few weeks, this stuff would be clear any way - most withdrawal times are 14 days. I think most banning is because poultry farms for commercial use just dump everything in all the time to keep things away. I remember when Perdue had the black spot in the breasts - that was illegal but they did it and we ate it. I didn't find out until I met someone who worked there and they were told to do those injections despite the slaughter time.
If the vet says they're off label that is pretty normal. Thanks so much and I'll keep you posted!

Ask him about the possibility of E.coli peritonitis and/or a clostridial infection. I'm not saying that she has either, but if you've ruled out coccidiosis and worms, it's probably the only thing you can try other than an anti-fungal. If she doesn't respond to this treatment, outlook for her is grim. Keep in mind that both Baytril is banned for use in poultry and metronidazole is banned for used in all food animals, but I'm gonna uses that you're more interested in trying to save her, right?

-Kathy

I was thinking of e. coli peritonitis as well, hopefully not. Kathy has always hypothetically suggested the correct doses to me.
wink.png

I know speckledhen has had some luck with withdrawing the fluid in the abdomen. I have recently done it to a hen that was dead just to see how to do it. But with speckledhen she did it to relieve the pain from the fluid collecting in the abdomen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom