Help Selecting a Breed.

My Australorps, BR and Cuckoo Maran would fit 4 of your five requests. None of these have gone broody, but I have enough silkies to drive me crazy doing that. However, when they're not broody, the silkies lay every other day. I'm sure most of my big girls are hatchery stock and I've heard that hatchery stock don't go broody as often as non-hatchery. The CM is my best layer and my next best is tied between one of the Australorps and the BR. Another thing to consider is how much noise they make. The CM and the Aussies are quiet, but definitely not the BR.

I would say that chickens can be intelligent, just like dogs some are very and some a little just IMO. But thank you everyone for your input. Even though I love bantams, I might have to start with LF but that doesn't matter Cause I Love Chickens!

nobody has metioned speckled sussex ares are really good birds, and fit the bill (your criteria perfect)
20950_p1080355.jpg

here is are speckled roo,
he is huge, but as gentle as good be,
you could imagine how the hens are

Before you make your decision, I suggest you look at the Henderson Chart for tendencies. Most production birds, which include most of the dual purpose breeds, have had a lot of the broodiness bred out of them. They were culled to leave only the best egg layers since eggs were hatched in incubators and broody hens are not laying hens. Some do occasionally go broody, but it is not a common occurence. And it is possible some people have developed lines that do go broody a lot, but you will certainly not find these out of hatchery stock. Hatcheries sell baby chicks and use incubators. To get baby chicks you need eggs. Broody hens do not lay while broody. Hatcheries are not going to cull in favor of broody hens.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

For your criteria, I would suggest you look at the Orpington or Sussex. At least that would be my top choices with your criteria if you are going with hatchery birds. Depending on your circumstances, the Brahma or Cochin could be a possibility. They are listed as broody and they will get large enough to eat, but they are slow to mature. The Brahma probably lays better than the Cochin.

If you can get your birds directly from a breeder who can assure you that they have been selected for going broody, any of the dual purpose breeds can be considered. Any of the Rocks (listed as Plymouth Rocks in the Henderson Chart), any of the Wyandottes, Australorp, Delaware, Dominique, Chantecler, Buckeye, Rhode Island Red or White, New Hampshire Red, and some I am sure I am forgetting. I do think your odds of getting a broody go down if you choose one of these production breeds. It is still possible as many people on this forum can assure you, just not likely.

Another possibility is to get two breeds. You could get one breed for dual purpose and one for going broody. If you did this, I'd suggest the Silkie or Old English Game in addition to the dual purpose breed. The Silkie probably bears confinement better, but if you free range them, the OEG might be a good choice.

Then you could always just get an incubator and raise them yourself.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

1. Partridge Rock
2. Buff Orpington
3. Speckled Sussex
4. Brahma
5. Cochin

I did it in order of egg laying in MY experience.

For meat... Cochin or Orpington if you are looking at roos.

I'm with cw. The speckled sussex is one of the best for most of those. They're big, sturdy birds, absolutely gorgeous, calm, and friendly, and they lay very well indeed!

Intelligence is a trait that means different things to different people. My personal idea of intelligence might not fit yours. Character is more important anyway. Calm and friendly goes a long way in the right direction, imho.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom