Help!! Set egg cracked and is bleeding two weeks early!

4yearsofchickens

Songster
Sep 22, 2020
South Central Pennsylvania
So I have a long story, with many mistakes. I know I made some mistakes, and already feel terrible. (TL;DR at bottom)
This started the first week of July. One of hens went broody, and after unsuccessful attempts to break it, on July 17 I decided to get 6 fertile eggs from a friend and let her set (I have no rooster). Lo and behold, three days after getting the eggs, she gives up her motherly passions (also she breaks an eggs at this point). I caught this before the eggs got too cold, and stuck them in a makeshift incubator (more on that later), not expecting anything to happen.
I candled once a week and thought I wasn't seeing any development (now I think my flashlight just wasn't bright enough).
The hen had cracked 1 of the eggs when she had been sitting on them and that one started to ooze brown matter out of the cracks, so I thought since they all looked the same to me when I candled them that they were all rotten inside. I took them outside to throw them away. I threw the rotten one first and it was just black inside and disgusting, so I threw the rest. Three bounced and one broke. The one that broke had a developing chick inside. I felt terrible, and took the other three back to the incubator.
Apparently one of the eggs cracked when I threw it, although at the time I couldn't see it. Now this egg has blood oozing out of the cracks...
TL;DR
I thought the eggs were rotten, so threw them out, they weren't rotten. Now one has blood oozing out of a crack, with a week and a half to hatch date, what do I do?

Mistakes:

Letting a new hen set when I was super busy.
Not candling well.
Throwing all the eggs at once instead of one at a time.
Trying to use a makeshift incubator (a heat lamp over a metal bucket, turning eggs as often as possible, and adding humidity in the form of paper towels)

I'll try to get pics asap

You can try and seal it, but the odds are very slim the chick will survive. I'm not trying to upset you, and I'm so sorry this happened.

The shell protects the chick from bacteria and foreign materials. By hitting the ground it likely got a lot of dirt and bacteria inside which will kill the chick. They also just aren't ready to process oxygen/air that early and if a sudden rush of it comes into the egg that can kill them too.

If it was closer to hatch I'd say it has a chance. You can try some of the methods in the link below, though. Again I'm sorry this happened and I hope you have a better experience next time. ❤️

https://www.littlefarmonthecorner.c...racked-or-broken-hatching-egg/?v=7516fd43adaa

Here are pics. I suppose it is possible that this one is further developed, as I didn't collect them myself and the person I got them from might have unknowingly collected one that was already developing. I say this because when I picked up the egg to take pics, the chick squeaked inside. Can it do that this early?

Attachments

• IMG_20210805_204621842.jpg
    IMG_20210805_204621842.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210805_204633229.jpg
    IMG_20210805_204633229.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210805_204643196.jpg
    IMG_20210805_204643196.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210805_204614824.jpg
    IMG_20210805_204614824.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 20
You can try and seal it, but the odds are very slim the chick will survive. I'm not trying to upset you, and I'm so sorry this happened.

The shell protects the chick from bacteria and foreign materials. By hitting the ground it likely got a lot of dirt and bacteria inside which will kill the chick. They also just aren't ready to process oxygen/air that early and if a sudden rush of it comes into the egg that can kill them too.

If it was closer to hatch I'd say it has a chance. You can try some of the methods in the link below, though. Again I'm sorry this happened and I hope you have a better experience next time. ❤️

https://www.littlefarmonthecorner.c...racked-or-broken-hatching-egg/?v=7516fd43adaa
Thanks... I sorta figured there wasn't much I could do, but I already felt terrible before, now I feel worse. This is my first time hatching eggs, and I keep thinking, if I hadn't thrown them, they would've made it..😥

Thanks... I sorta figured there wasn't much I could do, but I already felt terrible before, now I feel worse. This is my first time hatching eggs, and I keep thinking, if I hadn't thrown them, they would've made it..😥
So sorry. Everyone on here has had it happen at least once. Don't beat yourself up. You thought they were rotten (and rightfully so with the one leaking brown!).

You should really invest in an incubator. A decent little one like a Brinsea Mini Advance II will take out all of the stress and sadness you are dealing with. Just based on how effected by this you are in your post- it's worth the spend.

That all said, we make mistakes- and the hens make mistakes too. No need to beat yourself up over it. Learn and get better and move on with your head up. You're doing a good job just by caring!

You should really invest in an incubator. A decent little one like a Brinsea Mini Advance II will take out all of the stress and sadness you are dealing with. Just based on how effected by this you are in your post- it's worth the spend.

That all said, we make mistakes- and the hens make mistakes too. No need to beat yourself up over it. Learn and get better and move on with your head up. You're doing a good job just by caring!
I definitely would have, except I never really planned to hatch eggs. I didn't want to buy something I'd only use once, as at the beginning I didn't even expect the eggs to make it through bc my hen wasn't a great broody (as explained).

I definitely would have, except I never really planned to hatch eggs. I didn't want to buy something I'd only use once, as at the beginning I didn't even expect the eggs to make it through bc my hen wasn't a great broody (as explained).

Not faulting you at all, in fact I was complimenting you for giving it a shot. I was just saying if you want to be in chickens and have broody hens- it's a great thing to have an incubarot around for when things go wrong- which they will, and often. :) I can't imagine doing wet paper towels and the like as you said!

Not faulting you at all, in fact I was complimenting you for giving it a shot. I was just saying if you want to be in chickens and have broody hens- it's a great thing to have an incubarot around for when things go wrong- which they will, and often. :) I can't imagine doing wet paper towels and the like as you said!
Thanks.
I never really planned to set eggs or try to hatch with an incubator in my chicken-keeping career. I realized pretty quickly I didnt have the resources to do so. (I work 10 hrs a day 6 days a week)
I made sure to get hens that weren't to go broody (ha), and so I was totally unprepared for the entire situation leading up to this.
If I were ever to do this again (although presently I don't expect to), I would definitely have a incubator handy for backup.

Thanks.
I never really planned to set eggs or try to hatch with an incubator in my chicken-keeping career. I realized pretty quickly I didnt have the resources to do so. (I work 10 hrs a day 6 days a week)
I made sure to get hens that weren't to go broody (ha), and so I was totally unprepared for the entire situation leading up to this.
If I were ever to do this again (although presently I don't expect to), I would definitely have a incubator handy for backup.

Well, in fairness if you wanted to- a good incubator is set it and forget it! Like an easy-bake over. The Brinsea I mentioned that I use, you literally just have to fill up a little cup in the middle with water... that's it lol. 28 days later or so, it's full of chicks! Lots of fun. No matter what you decide to do- best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom