Help settling in new geese

TabithaElliott

Hatching
Jan 19, 2024
Hello! I adopted a pair of Embden geese to help someone who needed a home for them. They aren't going to their shelter to nest or feed. They have selected another area of my property to hang out at the shallow end of the pond and they are sleeping on the water at night. It is in my goat pasture so it is hard to feed them without the goats butting in. The neighbors field buts up at the corner of my pond and I don't want them going off into that area. Any tips on settling them in and keeping them safe?

We have shown them the area twice but they don't go in or stick around. The only way I think I could keep them there for a while would be using an electric poltry net I have to make a large pen. Would that be recommended?

Can you get some garden netting or multipurpose netting (at least four feet high) and make a pen around their shelter? It takes them several days, sometimes more, to learn where their shelter is.
Also, if you have a pond they will be attracted to that and might be even more resistant to sleeping in their shelter.
I don't have experience with electric netting, but you could try it... :)

Back
Top Bottom