Help! Severe Duck Bumblefoot Healing or Not?

Nov 19, 2019
NW New Jersey
I noticed my pekin girl was limping a little, and when I checked her feet, I found that her foot pad was the size of a golf ball and had a huge scab on it. I immediately did surgery on it. First I soaked her feet in warm water and epsom salt for about 15 min. I then peeled off as much as I could of the scab and pus underneath it. There wasn't any kernel in it, just pieces of pus here and there. Then I wiped the wound with 91% isopropyl alcohol and slathered on triple anibiotic ointment and bandaged it. That was 3 days ago. Today I opened her bandages and saw that it had shrunk about 30% or so and the open wound was scabbed over with what I think more pus. I soaked her in the epsom salt water, and peeled all that pus off and the rest of the brown scab from before. More triple antibiotic ointment and bandaged her up with non stick gauze, vet wrap, and an extra layer of medical tape to waterproof her foot. I don't have any pictures of the initial scab, but do have a pic of her foot after I cleaned it up today. Does it look normal or infected. Her foot isn't hot, about the same temperature as her normal foot. There doesn't seem to be any swelling in any other part of the foot except the foot pad and she puts weight on it, just hobbles around a little because of the bandage. I gave her some cat food for protein, after I was done bandaging her up as well as some dandelion leaves. Is there anything else I should do?

Attachments

• 20211013_165208_HDR.jpg
    20211013_165208_HDR.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20211013_164337_HDR.jpg
    20211013_164337_HDR.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 38
That's all you can do for now, just keep her foot clean and dry give it a couple days then check to make sure you don't see any more pus. If you wanted you could soak it say every evening before bed put the antibiotic ointment on then wrap. That was a big bumble. Glad to hear it was all in one place and hadn't spread.
With a few of my hens[chickens], I've had to remove more pus after a few days but not every time.

That's all you can do for now, just keep her foot clean and dry give it a couple days then check to make sure you don't see any more pus. If you wanted you could soak it say every evening before bed put the antibiotic ointment on then wrap. That was a big bumble. Glad to hear it was all in one place and hadn't spread.
With a few of my hens[chickens], I've had to remove more pus after a few days but not every time.
Thanks for replying. I'll keep an eye on it and remove any more if need be. I'll update pictures when I change her bandage again, in a few days or so.

Back
Top Bottom