Help sex Ameracauna chicks - 8 1/2 weeks old

michiele

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Broken Arrow, OK
I have 6 chicks that are 8 1/2 weeks old. They are 3/4 or full Ameracaunas. Pretty sure Violet is a girl. Thinking Rocky, Mitzi, & Chloee are boys, but I am hoping one or 2 of the others are girls. Can anyone help me out?I labeled the pics so you can identify each chick. You can click on each pic to see a larger version. Thanks!

Well Violet certainly does have a smaller comb. But boy I get fooled sexing birds with pea combs again and again. It's also helpful to look closely at their necks and backs and see if hackle/saddle feathers are coming in. Hopefully some other folks will chime in with their opinions!

Well, from the lack of responses, I guess no one can tell:( I don't see any hackle/saddle feathers coming in yet so I guess I will just continue to wait:) At one point, I thought I had 1 pullet and 5 roos, but now I am hoping that there are a couple more pullets since a couple of the gray ones are looking smaller than the supposed roos. Patience is in order... Waiting... Waiting... Waiting...
Well Violet certainly does have a smaller comb. But boy I get fooled sexing birds with pea combs again and again. It's also helpful to look closely at their necks and backs and see if hackle/saddle feathers are coming in. Hopefully some other folks will chime in with their opinions!

Back
Top Bottom