Help sex Ameracauna chicks - 8 1/2 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by michiele, Apr 6, 2012.

1. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    I have 6 chicks that are 8 1/2 weeks old. They are 3/4 or full Ameracaunas. Pretty sure Violet is a girl. Thinking Rocky, Mitzi, & Chloee are boys, but I am hoping one or 2 of the others are girls. Can anyone help me out?I labeled the pics so you can identify each chick. You can click on each pic to see a larger version. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Well Violet certainly does have a smaller comb. But boy I get fooled sexing birds with pea combs again and again. It's also helpful to look closely at their necks and backs and see if hackle/saddle feathers are coming in. Hopefully some other folks will chime in with their opinions!

3. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Well, from the lack of responses, I guess no one can tell:( I don't see any hackle/saddle feathers coming in yet so I guess I will just continue to wait:) At one point, I thought I had 1 pullet and 5 roos, but now I am hoping that there are a couple more pullets since a couple of the gray ones are looking smaller than the supposed roos. Patience is in order... Waiting... Waiting... Waiting...

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Violett and Muffy looks to be girls. I can't see Penelope well enough, may also be a girl. The rest look like boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by