Help Sexing Blue Ameraucanas

poseygrace

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Georgia
I have two adorable 7 week old blue ameraucanas (not EEs). Can anyone take a stab at the sex of each?

Chick 1:
89423_dscn2123.jpg

Chick 1:
89423_dscn2116.jpg

Chick 2:
89423_dscn2114.jpg

Chick 2:
89423_dscn2145.jpg

Thanks in advance!!! Edit to add that chick #2 is much smaller in size, and is lighter in color. Chick #1 has suddenly developed a much darker head/neck, and has a much more developed beard.

Last edited:
Actually, they both looks slightly suspicious. Chick #1's comb is going red (boy), but it seems to only have a thin ridge (girl). Chick #2's comb looks pale (girl), but looks to be really wide with multiple parallel ridges (boy).

Give them another month and you should really be able to tell. The boys will be bigger, stand more vertical and will start to have tail feathers that arch and are longer. Girls tend to be smaller and move more horizontally. They also have a shorter tail. Combs on the boys will be wide and red. Combs on the girls will have a single defined ridge and may or may not be reddish. You can also check out hackle and sickle feathers, but I always find that to be very confusing.

They are both lovely either way.

Thanks all for the input! Wow, the answers are all over the place. They are the only two Ameraucanas I have, so I sure hope one turns out to be a pullet. I live in the city limits and can't have roos. Fingers crossed that one will be a girl! Thanks again.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom