help sexing blue and black orpingtons

misty skye

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Hai ! its misty again. hope i can figure out how to upload a pic. ill try again.
102981_img_4076.jpg

102981_img_3789.jpg

The only way I can sex blue and black orps is to have the two different sexes exactly the same age and compare. Then we can guess at what we have.
We hatched 4-5 hatches this year each about 3 weeks apart and that is how we do it with each batch.
Or wait til they crow. Orps are awfully late about crowing too.

I would say the black is a cockerel and the blue is a pullet. I read somewhere cockerels tails are generally longer (of all breeds, not just long-tails) then the pullets, and in doing some sex-linked breeding this summer that seems to be the case. Although these are still to young to sex for sure - their combs aren't big enough and if they were cockerels they wouldn't have their shiny feathers coming in yet.

I'm going to go the other way and say the black is a pullet and the blue is a cockerel.

Hens usually develop tails faster, pretty much alll I'm going on, as i don't see much of a comb on either one.

I tend to think the black is most likely the pullet. My blue cockerels looked like the blue chick when they were small. you'll know for sure when the combs start. The boys combs are huge.

I fixed the image links.

When you are putting 2 pics in a thread, be sure not to drop the second on in the middle of the first one.

How old are they? The blue is looking more like a cockerel to me, but they do look a bit young to tell for sure.

Thank you terrie for fixing the pic. lol i love computers, but somethings i just dont kno how to do on them. Thank you ALL for your replies. Im thinking the blue is a cockerl, i hate to say this but its
a little bossy around the yard to the other 2 week old barnvelders. i sit and watch them enuff, and i do see it chasing the others off of the waterer or from the feeder. and the blue is the one i wanted the
most.
sad.png
i cant keep a gangsta (rooster) lol thats the joke around our house, if we think its a cockerl we refer to it as a gangsta. and gangsta cant stay here. I hope to see you all more around the
backyard. lol ~~misty

Last edited:
HINKJC, they are 5 weeks old in that pic. kinda cute, arent they? lol
Nice to meet you and thank you for replying.
~~misty

Back
Top Bottom