Help sexing blue bearded Belgian d’anver.

BantamAshley

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
Syracuse, NY
i have a 3 week old blue belgian bearded d'anver. Would anyone with experience with this breed be able to tell me what traits I can start to look for in determining the sex?
I understand he may be to young right now, but I’d just like to know what I can keep an eye out for, as I have found minimal information on sexing this breed looking on the internet.
Thank you very much for your time!
72936C72-B31A-481D-AE7F-693C0E88DDFB.jpeg

Keep an eye on comb and wattle development as well as the appearance of sickle feathers in the tail around week 5.
Though not the same breed but similar, my D'Uccle cockerel started showing a larger comb at 3 weeks and sickle feathers at 5 weeks.

Your chick is showing the same characteristics as my D'Uccle pullet at that age.

Keep an eye on comb and wattle development as well as the appearance of sickle feathers in the tail around week 5.
Though not the same breed but similar, my D'Uccle cockerel started showing a larger comb at 3 weeks and sickle feathers at 5 weeks.

Your chick is showing the same characteristics as my D'Uccle pullet at that age.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. That is some hopeful news as well!

At 3 weeks I think you can be pretty sure you have a pullet. A cockerel would have much fewer adult feathers as they grow slower and would have a much larger comb. Super cute chick!

At 3 weeks I think you can be pretty sure you have a pullet. A cockerel would have much fewer adult feathers as they grow slower and would have a much larger comb. Super cute chick!
Wow! That’s great to hear! I was expecting to have to wait it out with this one, as I just couldn’t find info. Thanks!

I raise D'anvers and you can tell around 5-6 weeks by the size and redness of the comb. At that age, the comb of a male would be slightly larger and redder than the comb of a female and the spike would be very defined. Around 6 weeks you will see the beginnings of a saddle.

Back
Top Bottom