Help Sexing Geese

realtreegirl

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 25, 2013
I thought I had the sexes figured out but now I am not sure.
This one just started Hissing
IMG_9339.JPG
the white one is really loud and the African is pretty loud also At least one of these 3 is laying eggs haven't caught which one yet.
IMG_9349.JPG

IMG_9352.JPG
IMG_9340.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9352.JPG
    IMG_9352.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 3
I’d say the African is a girl and the white is a male.How old?

Males are loud and honk while hens almost have a quacker type sound

Judging from the behavior I'm seeing in these pictures, I'd say your white Chinese is a male, the gray one with the orange bill is a male, and the brown chinese is a female.

I’d say the African is a girl and the white is a male.How old?

Males are loud and honk while hens almost have a quacker type sound

They are 10 months old. The white and brown hang out together all the time and the African is kind of the loner or off to the side by itself. I thought the brown one was a female cause it was pretty quiet until It started hissing a week or so ago.

and the African

Did you buy her as an African? Because she looks more built like a brown Chinese. Africans are large bulky geese with dewlaps. You're also describing her as loud 'like the white one' which is a white Chinese and Chinese are known to be loud and noisy geese.

If you're up to it, there's always vent sexing to double check. But judging from the behavior in those pictures I really do think you've got two ganders and a goose. The white Chinese and the toulouse are walking with their beaks pointed up and necks extended, and putting themselves between you and the brown chinese/African, both of which are gander behaviors.

Meanwhile the brown Chinese/African is keeping behind those two, and walking with her head bowed, which are goose behaviors.

Also

Last edited:
Did you buy her as an African? Because she looks more built like a brown Chinese. Africans are large bulky geese with dewlaps. You're also describing her as loud 'like the white one' which is a white Chinese and Chinese are known to be loud and noisy geese.

If you're up to it, there's always vent sexing to double check. But judging from the behavior in those pictures I really do think you've got two ganders and a goose. The white Chinese and the toulouse are walking with their beaks pointed up and necks extended, and putting themselves between you and the brown chinese/African, both of which are gander behaviors.

Meanwhile the brown Chinese/African is keeping behind those two, and walking with her head bowed, which are goose behaviors.

Also
I bought the hatchery choice I wasn't sure the breed for sure so thank you :)

Ok I have an update...The Toulouse is a male! The brown Chinese is a female! the white is a male also. The Toulouse and the white are mating and best buds. The brown is mating with the ducks! What the heck, why did the males decide to bond? I am so confused with these geese

Odd,never heard of males bonding,your sure one is male and male and the female is mating with the ducks,meaning your drakes are breeding her?

Back
Top Bottom