Help sexing my 6 week old blue isbars, rhode island red and swedish flower hens

AAAWilliams

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
My babies are 6 weeks old and I would love your opinion on their gender! Please meet Leslie Knope (speck isbar), Velociraptor (blue isbar), General Tso (rhode island red), Frankenstein (brown swedish flower hen) and Dabs (black and yellow swedish flower hen). General has the most male characteristics to me. She has the biggest crown and has the most upright posture. Leslie acts like a hen to me but has a much bigger crown than her sister Velociraptor. Dabs and Frankenstein have equal sized crowns but Dabs is significantly larger than her sister. Please let me know what you think from the pictures!

Frankenstein

Leslie

Dabs

General Tso

Velociraptor

General, Frankenstein and Velociraptor munching on some cabbage

welcome-byc.gif
!!!!

I think no one's guessing because they think you're right--General is the only one who looks rooish at this time. It would be awesome if the rest were pullets
roll.png
but that's just my guess.

the all look pullety right now. re-post in 4-6 weeks (10-12 weeks of age) or when they become 16 weeks old for saddle and hackle feather development sexing

For me comb color is my go to guess item. If it is peach they are pullets, if it looks red they are cockerels.

Last year I hatched two rounds of chicks. It was agonizing waiting to sex them. My lavender Ameraucanas were the absolute WORST to sex. One had a bright red comb, one a pink comb and one a peach comb. I was sure and so was everybody else that the red and pink combed were roo's. It turned out they were all pullets. In fact, of the 14 I hatched, 13 of them were pullets...beginner's luck.

Looking for the Blue Isbar expert I just hatched this one chick on the left.They are 3 days old and the wing feather are not one length can you feather sex this breed.Any help would be great.

So cute! If there is a way to feather sex Isbars, I certainly don't know about it! My babes are almost 3 months old and I am just now deciding I have all hens. It is torture! Congrats on your Isbars, they are definitely my favorite! They seem so much more intelligent and aware of their surroundings than my other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom