Help Sexing my polish! Supposed to be Rooster, is it a HE?!

Quote:
Well, he's about 7 months old now. Supposedly. They weren't 100% sure. They knew he was either from the February or April hatch.
hmm.png
They had a lot going on. The husband was recently disabled, so they had to dwindle down their flock. She was pretty broken up about it. She thought it was a rooster because of the crazy head-dress. She said that the hens have much rounder bobs.

Quote:
I have to disagree from my experience only. I have 2 white crested black polish that are about 4 months old. Einstein my boy already has nice flowing saddle feathers and his hackles are getting long. He hasnt crowed yet but I figure that because we have 4 other roosters that crow alot.

Quote:
I have to disagree from my experience only. I have 2 white crested black polish that are about 4 months old. Einstein my boy already has nice flowing saddle feathers and his hackles are getting long. He hasnt crowed yet but I figure that because we have 4 other roosters that crow alot.

Would it be a bother to ask to see a picture of him? Something to compare with anyway. I can't seem to find any on google that are the same age as Carl(a)
tongue.png

It would really help me out!
smile.png

You Polish is a girl and so is your d'Uccle. You can tell a d'Uccle roo by about a month to two months old. Their combs get HUGE and red fast. Take a look at the pics on my website for the obvious difference in male and female BL Polish. While yours is more "orange" than most females, there are no pointy hackle, saddle, or streamer feathers.

My polish roo had large wattles by that age. When I asked for opinions everyone said he was a girl because he didn't have the stringy feathers in his crest. Yet. Shortly after I asked, he started crowing, his crest grew out and I rehomed him!

Quote:
A hatchery website is not a good place to look for pictures of a good representation of breeds. You need to look at a breeders website for good represenations of the breed you are asking about.

And, of those pictures, the roo is non-bearded, so it is much easier to tell the difference. Bearded Polish are harder to sex because of the lack of wattles.

Back
Top Bottom