help sexing silver lace wyandotte and plymouth rock :) MORE PICS

earth_bee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 12, 2011
Lake Macquarie, Australia
Hi there folks,
Have had these three buddies for a while, they are about 3-4 months old. I'm pretty sure there is one pullet one cockerel in the wyandotte duo. I have been agonising over whether the rock is a cockerel or not, could someone please put me out of my misery!! ;)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Really hard to tell as this is just when they start changing enough to tell. It seems to have more of a comb them my hen but not enough of one to say Roo. Also from the way its standing it looks Rooish-I know-Im not much help LOL I would wait another month and you should be able to tell. It seems like Roos combs color up faster than hens too. I can't see the faces on the SLW to say much.

that barred rock is 5,000% cockerel no ands ifs or buts about it sorry. you can tell by his over all color and his hackles, both of these are dead giveaways that he is a cockerel

Last edited:
ah, bugger. I was pretty sure he was a he, but I think I was in denial. ;)
Such a shame to put him in the stock pot, perhaps I will let him grow a little and try swap or sell him at the local poultry auctions.

Thanks for the help.

he has very very nice barring on him better than most hatchery stock i see. i would let my kids show him in 4-h.

None of those birds look like hatchery stock to me, they're gorgeous. Agree that the Rock is probably a roo. Both of the Wyandottes look like pullets to me, by that age my Wyandotte cockerels had their white hackle and saddles and yours don't even look like they're beginning to grow them in. Would love to see both of their faces, though.

No hatchery stock here! These are from a local breeder, I didn't really want the Rock but I'm a little too soft I guess, I also came home with a goose 'cause he needed a home too. Hahaha!
I'll get a better pic of the wyandottes, I would be ecstatic if they are both pullets. :)

The wyandottes are both female. The males color in with more white on the wings, and would have larger combs by now.
Your barred rock roo is quite handsome, I'd see about re homing him vs eating him. Although, even nice roosters sometimes wind up as soup.

I think you are right. The one in front has more of the lacing around her neck-like pullets get and the other has the "dark ring" around his neck(well before all the hackels and saddles come in) that the boys get. Here is a picture of our birds about that age(our girl is on the left, boy on right). Now saying that...nothing "screams" rooster to me for the one on the right, other than the way his feathers are growing in, I'd still wait another 2 weeks and recheck them.

pullet at front and cockerel at rear?

cockerel?

cockerel?

pullet?

Thanks for your help guys.
:)

Back
Top Bottom