Help!! Should I assist or not?!

kristinn

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
Brighton, MI
Just came in to find this egg (day 22) has pipped outside the of the air cell, and on top of that, I think it has only externally pipped, not internally, so it's not getting any oxygen. I havent seen any movement since I came in either.. should I assist and break the membrane so it can breathe? Or just wait? This is my first hatch so any/all advice is appreciated!!

Last edited:
Just came in to find this egg (day 22) has pipped outside the of the air cell, and on top of that, I think it has only externally pipped, not internally, so it's not getting any oxygen. I havent seen any movement since I came in either.. should I assist and break the membrane so it can breathe? Or just wait? This is my first hatch so any/all advice is appreciated!!

I had one that did this. I took a Q-tip and broke the swab off. I used the blunted cardboard stick to lightly press with the side of it. Not stabbing, more like pressing the side of it to the membrane almost parallel with each other, if that makes sense. The chick did fine and may or may not have needed it, I just did what I felt was right.

It didnt progress past that very much, got halfway done then stopped. After 24 hours I intervened to find it was stuck to the membrane, but its out now and resting :)

Back
Top Bottom