!HELP! Should I be worried about this chick?!

Dec 29, 2019
image.jpg
image.jpg

Is that an unabsorbed yolk sack? What should I do! I’ve seen a lot of images of unabsorbed yolk sacks and I don’t think that’s what it is but I really have zero clue. It just sort of looks like her navel is raised and out or something. Has it just not closed yet?

Last edited:
Whatever it is, it's internal, doesn't look to be oozing, doesn't seem infected. Keep an eye on it and on the chick. This lil'un still looks wet, so this might just be something that their fuzzy feathers will cover up when fully dry. Also note that it's not uncommon for a freshly hatched chick to spend almost all of the next 24-48 hours after escaping their shell to just sleep. Don't mistake this as lethargy.

Whatever it is, it's internal, doesn't look to be oozing, doesn't seem infected. Keep an eye on it and on the chick. This lil'un still looks wet, so this might just be something that their fuzzy feathers will cover up when fully dry. Also note that it's not uncommon for a freshly hatched chick to spend almost all of the next 24-48 hours after escaping their shell to just sleep. Don't mistake this as lethargy.
I’m used to chicks sleeping a lot after hatching, but I swear this little one has the most energy I’ve ever seen in a newly hatched chick! (And the loudest chirps) :p Thanks for the advice!

I’m used to chicks sleeping a lot after hatching, but I swear this little one has the most energy I’ve ever seen in a newly hatched chick! (And the loudest chirps) :p Thanks for the advice!

The last thing that happens before they escape the egg is the abdomen closes up and depending on how long elapsed between that moment and the chick kicking free of the egg, it might just be that it's very delicately sealed, like a pastry with filling that isn't baked. If there's debris it's possible you might be seeing (hard to tell) is the poop sac that isn't always disconnected at hatch, where all the waste goes during development - if that's still connected it looks like a mucus string when fresh and can almost resemble a thread once dried- that can be safely snipped. A good spray with vetricyn if you're worried, or a dip into a betadine solution won't hurt. A closer picture of the navel (just below the vent) might be informative.

If the loud chirps continue, do have a look at the feet and make sure she doesn't have curled toes - way too early to be sure of that, but sustained chirping can be a sign of discomfort when combined with curled toes. Easy enough to make up a chick shoe and vetwrap it on to help the toes straighten out.

The last thing that happens before they escape the egg is the abdomen closes up and depending on how long elapsed between that moment and the chick kicking free of the egg, it might just be that it's very delicately sealed, like a pastry with filling that isn't baked. If there's debris it's possible you might be seeing (hard to tell) is the poop sac that isn't always disconnected at hatch, where all the waste goes during development - if that's still connected it looks like a mucus string when fresh and can almost resemble a thread once dried- that can be safely snipped. A good spray with vetricyn if you're worried, or a dip into a betadine solution won't hurt. A closer picture of the navel (just below the vent) might be informative.

If the loud chirps continue, do have a look at the feet and make sure she doesn't have curled toes - way too early to be sure of that, but sustained chirping can be a sign of discomfort when combined with curled toes. Easy enough to make up a chick shoe and vetwrap it on to help the toes straighten out.
I just went to check on it and everything seems to be fine. I checked it’s feet and I’m pretty sure the toes aren’t curled and whatever was going on with it’s navel has gone away except now it just looks a little red. I’ll try and go get a picture, but no guarantee, the chick is super squirmy.

I just went to check on it and everything seems to be fine. I checked it’s feet and I’m pretty sure the toes aren’t curled and whatever was going on with it’s navel has gone away except now it just looks a little red. I’ll try and go get a picture, but no guarantee, the chick is super squirmy.
Got a picture!
2E6C2011-6503-4E78-B6B5-26BF9998B295.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom