help: should i take my chick out of the bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by starkist72, Sep 30, 2014.

1. starkist72

starkist72 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    I had a chick hatch at noon today, so about 8 hours ago. not quite fluffed out.

I have an egg rocking and moving like crazy. This egg was actually put in a day after the others so it's only on day 20 (someone gave me eggs, i thought what the heck, fill the empty spot)

I have other eggs in, but I'm not sure anything else is going to hatch, I had temperature problems this time around (I'm grateful for the one that hatched!!!)

I don't think I have any pips, but I'm not sure

My question is, should i pull the first chick out now or wait until my "rocker" hatches?

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

You can leave them in the incubator for the first three days if necessary, but after 24 hours I usually put in a jar lid filled with marbles and water just so they have some water... Doing this I regularly keep the babies in the incubator for a couple of days as staggered egg clutches hatch...

3. starkist72

starkist72 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    PERFECT! thank you so much, this is exactly what I needed to hear right now!

this is my first staggered hatch, I had all freebie barnyard eggs so I started out thinking, hey whatever happens happens, now that we're close they're feeling much more important :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by