Help sick chick!!

Devorah

Songster
Feb 28, 2022
Leyden, Massachusetts
Help! I just noticed that one of my 3-week old chicks has some kind of inflammation or irritation on neck. See photo. What do I do?
DA6CAD03-5C68-45BE-980D-7D17E2613BF3.jpeg

Do you have a better camera than the one used for this photo? It's short on pixels and short on focus. In order for a photograph to convey as much information as possible, it needs to be well lighted and clear.

You also need to flesh out a narrative to supplement the photo which only conveys two of the three dimensions of matter. How old is the chick? Describe when you first noticed this. Describe the lesion. Is it hard, lumpy, crusty, soft, spongy, any wet aspects to it, any odor? Does it appear to be rapidly growing?

Do you have a better camera than the one used for this photo? It's short on pixels and short on focus. In order for a photograph to convey as much information as possible, it needs to be well lighted and clear.

You also need to flesh out a narrative to supplement the photo which only conveys two of the three dimensions of matter. How old is the chick? Describe when you first noticed this. Describe the lesion. Is it hard, lumpy, crusty, soft, spongy, any wet aspects to it, any odor? Does it appear to be rapidly growing?
3 weeks plus. Just noticed the red featherless neck today for the first time. Lesion is 2 centimeters long around neck circumference. She keeps scratching. Possibly another chick pecking at it. Trying to catch it you soaker it in snapper brooder.

And here is a better photo:
7B4B023B-5DEE-4052-8EDA-92274494DD4E.jpeg

While you have her caught up, look for lice and mites too.
Thanks. I will!

Is there any blistering? From what I see, this is just a case of feather picking. Try painting Bu-kote on her bare neck until after all her new feathers come back. This will turn her pink neck blue and it won't present as much of a target for pickers. It will be especially vulnerable as the new pin feathers come in. Keep the Blu-kote on her neck for the next several weeks.

Is there any blistering? From what I see, this is just a case of feather picking. Try painting Bu-kote on her bare neck until after all her new feathers come back. This will turn her pink neck blue and it won't present as much of a target for pickers. It will be especially vulnerable as the new pin feathers come in. Keep the Blu-kote on her neck for the next several weeks.
Hi there — thanks so much for responding! It looks like there is a little black crust on part of the exposed skin. I sprayed vetericyn on her neck this morning and will repeat 3 more times today. She is in her own little brooder. She does pick at her neck … didn’t want to put her back in the main brooder until her neck is on the mend. Then the plan was to put no peck on her neck when she goes back to the brooder. I also added electrolytes to her water. Should I still apply the Blu-Kote? Oy this is hard …

Blu-kote stains the pink skin blue, a neutral color that doesn't excite chickens like pink and red do. Bu-kote is also an antibacterial/antifungal for small wounds. You may use both Blu-kote and Vetericyn by spraying the Vetericyn, let dry and then painting the Blu-kote on with a Q-tip which is easier than using the big shoe-polish applicator that comes in the bottle.

Here is another pic

Blu-kote stains the pink skin blue, a neutral color that doesn't excite chickens like pink and red do. Bu-kote is also an antibacterial/antifungal for small wounds. You may use both Blu-kote and Vetericyn by spraying the Vetericyn, let dry and then painting the Blu-kote on with a Q-tip which is easier than using the big shoe-polish applicator that comes in the bottle.
Is the blu-kote for when I return the chick to the brooder?

Attachments

• DA494DD3-AEDE-41DA-9FC8-2A634EACCF08.jpeg
    DA494DD3-AEDE-41DA-9FC8-2A634EACCF08.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom