Help! Sick chicken can’t even move!!

Chickeng1rl567

Songster
May 26, 2020
Michigan
Hello I have a chicken who is very sick and I don’t know what it is. Her name is Blackbird and we just noticed weird behavior a day or two ago, but we don’t really know how long it has been going on. She is standing upright with her tail at the ground and seems unable to stand normally. She barely moves, we got her to shuffle off balance (still in the upright position) towards a handful of scratch, but other than that she just stands there sadly. She also has little bugs crawling all over her, but I don’t know what they are. If you know what is wrong with her or any ways to cure her, please respond ASAP!! Thank you!
C8003746-D234-4803-BE7E-BBD6BC79621C.jpeg
B1D5B64E-EC7B-4316-8B0B-7FB885F51114.jpeg
A316FAA4-7F89-4033-A116-D67F8CB0FB0E.jpeg

Looks like she has Ascites. The fluid in her abdomen will have to be drained. You can either take her to a vet, or you can do it yourself.
The bugs are most likely mites. You can get rid of those with a spray, but you should deal with the ascites first.

Looks like she has Ascites. The fluid in her abdomen will have to be drained. You can either take her to a vet, or you can do it yourself.
The bugs are most likely mites. You can get rid of those with a spray, but you should deal with the ascites first.
Thank you for your help. There isn’t a vet around here that takes chickens, so unfortunately Blackbird passed away a little while ago.

Thank you for your help. There isn’t a vet around here that takes chickens, so unfortunately Blackbird passed away a little while ago.
I'm sorry. Unfortunately we just cant save them all. If she did have mites though you'll need to look over your other chickens. Mites dont just stay on one bird. You will probably need to treat them all and the coop.

I’m so sorry for your loss but I hope this information helps.

Ascites like this is a symptom of end stage heart failure, liver failure, or renal failure, there wasn’t anything you could have done, considering you came here to ask for help I know you cared about her a great deal and the important thing is that she knows she was cared for.

Back
Top Bottom