Help! Sick Chicken!

ChickenLove1111

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 7, 2015
Hello! I'm new here, and decided to post in this forum since it had a bunch of views. Anyways, I have a problem! One of our four hens is seeming ill- she has a bunch of symptoms which I'll get to in a moment. Our other three seem fine, but we are still wondering if it may be contagious.
Her symptoms
-whenever we pick her up from under her body/crop, she spits out this greenish transparent goop
-she is shedding feathers like crazy(and I don't mean the large ones, rather whenever she walks-which she isn't doing a lot of- many tiny feathers fall off at a time).
-she is "leaking" watery diarrhea, but only little drops at a time
-as you can see in the picture(if I can manage to attach it) she is standing in an odd position with her feathers kind of poked out. Her wings are in a kind of odd position too(though we're pretty sure she hasn't broken anything).
She isn't eating or drinking, and (possibly as a result?) her crown is drooping very low
--note: she may look like a rooster but I promise, she is a hen. We have tried, but haven't found many other hens with crowns/waddles as large as hers. But don't be worried, that's normal.--
She has always sneezed a lot and not eaten much, but now she isn't eating or drinking and we are worried.

If anybody reading this has ever been in a similar situation, please don't hesitate to reply, and please tell me how you solved the problem and/or what the problem was. I can't really make sense of what's wrong with her, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. And as you can tell, I'm new to having sick hens- they've been healthy until this point- so any advice, again, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much! -CL1111

Hi there and :welcome! You'll probably have better luck getting an answer as to what's wrong with her if you post it in the correct section of the forums for this kind of thing here. That's where people who are good at helping with things like this watch and help.

I can give you some basic advice, though. Firstly, the feather loss might be just a simple molt, which is natural and normal for this time of year. That might not be something to worry about.

Bring her somewhere where you can keep her warm and calm. You might want to set up a heat lamp for her. Try offering her something to eat, like scrambled eggs or yogurt. Check her over for parasites - that's one of the other reasons she may be losing feathers.

Otherwise, I'd go ahead and post in that other section of the forums that I linked for more help :)

Thank you! I appreciate the help, I will be sure to post in the right forum. I do not believe it is a molt though- usually when they molt they would start by losing tail feathers(and they have all recently gone through a molt, so I'm doubting another one would come around so soon.) But thank you! I really appreciate the help as a new user.:p

Hello! I'm sorry about the locations of my posts, I'm not very familiar with the site:p

So, I need a little help again. One of my hens is not acting normally. For one, she is usually a scaredy-cat hen, freaking out at every crow that flies by and every orange that falls off the tree. Now, she lets me pick her up very easily, and has been acting very tired for the past two days. She is not moving along with the other hens, and I am starting to get worried. As of now, the only thing I can say is she is not eating, and she is puffing up her feathers and hanging her tail feathers a little low. Again, like she is tired. I am beginning to wonder if she might have a blockage, or an internal parasite(I've looked her over on the outside and nothing seems out of the ordinary). If you read this and have any experiences like this, I'd appreciate a reply. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom