Help! Sick chicken!

SuffolkGirl

Songster
Jun 1, 2020
UK
My favourite girl Ethel has suddenly become ill.

She’s huddled up can’t keep her eyes open not interested in food (she normally gobbles everything) and she’s very slow wondering round the garden.

I’ve checked her bum and vent can’t feel anything and no discharge. Her crop is soft. I can feel some seed I don’t think it’s sour crop however I have massaged it to see if that does any good

I’ve given her some net ex poultry vitamin boost and some natural yoghurt to try and get some good ness in her.

I can get some tylan antibiotics online is this worth trying? Or taking to a vet?

I’m not sure what else I can do 😣😣😢

My favourite girl Ethel has suddenly become ill.

She’s huddled up can’t keep her eyes open not interested in food (she normally gobbles everything) and she’s very slow wondering round the garden.

I’ve checked her bum and vent can’t feel anything and no discharge. Her crop is soft. I can feel some seed I don’t think it’s sour crop however I have massaged it to see if that does any good

I’ve given her some net ex poultry vitamin boost and some natural yoghurt to try and get some good ness in her.

I can get some tylan antibiotics online is this worth trying? Or taking to a vet?

I’m not sure what else I can do 😣😣😢
Compare her abdomen and crop to the other flock member’s. Something’s wrong if either her abdomen or crop are softer or harder than usual.

She may have sour crop- you can’t always smell it. @azygous is great at helping with sour crop!
I did think sour crop I gently tipped her up and straightened her neck to see if she had any liquid to come out and there was nothing.

Do you think if I continue with yoghurt and vitamins she will get better?

I did think sour crop I gently tipped her up and straightened her neck to see if she had any liquid to come out and there was nothing.

Do you think if I continue with yoghurt and vitamins she will get better?
Kefir yogurt and eggs (cooked but cooled) are good for her, but I'm pretty sure azygous said to give them monistat. Every morning for about a week or two. Only, like, a pea-sized amount.

Can you get some amoxicillin? It sounds like she has a bacterial infection. Can you monitor her poop and post a picture of it? If it's runny and has yellowish mucous in it, it could be a reproductive infection.

Or she could be having egg issues. Is she laying? When was the last time you got an egg from her?

Can you get some amoxicillin? It sounds like she has a bacterial infection. Can you monitor her poop and post a picture of it? If it's runny and has yellowish mucous in it, it could be a reproductive infection.

Or she could be having egg issues. Is she laying? When was the last time you got an egg from her?
Been to the vet today. He said it’s a sinus infection as her head around eyes are slightly is slightly swollen and she’s a bit crackly. He also agrees she’s had a bout of sour crop. He’s given me baytril for the infection and another medicine for the crop to contract it and get it back working and digesting as I have cleared it up mostly with the cider vinegar.

She’s still not eating and I’m syringing water into her regularly. I’m not hopeful she looks very poorly and I’m giving the weekend to see if the medicine works if not I think it’s best to put her out of her misery. I’m slightly worried it could also be mycro plasma 😢😢😢

Back
Top Bottom