Help! Sick Dominique Hen!!

TomTurk32

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
My hen has a place on the side of her head that looks to be swollen and bruised. She lays with her head turned to the side and will not move. She seems to be very sick and I don't know what to do for her. Here's some pictures of the place. Has anyone seen anything like this before?? Thanks!

It certainly looks infected... maybe a wound, someone pecked her, or a bug or spider bite? I guess the point now would be to put her in a cage, separate her (however you must)... put her in an isolation place, clean, dry, fresh food and water, alone, quiet... And, start pumping Antibiotics into her... Baytril (I was able to find a generic one so it was a bit cheaper).... Penicillin... Tylan... get needles and syringes with the injectible antibiotics from the feed store... use the needles to extract the antibiotics from the bottle (whichever antibiotic you choose, one)... you can give it orally (without the needle), or give it into the breast muscle, injected.... go online to Jefferslivestock.com to search the antibiotics and read the manufacturer's info. and recommendations on them there... (if you want)... feed store personnel or owners are often knowledgeable and helpful with regard to what you should use, how much, for how long, etc...
She is a full grown hen (?), most have told me .5 (1/2) CC / ML ... the number of days depends on the antibiotic. You might also get a Betadine type cleanser and clean the area, clean the "wound" if there is one... avoid getting it into the eye.
If her eye is involved you can get the opthalmic oinment for that, for in the eye at the feed store also.
Be sure to watch and see if she is eating and drinking.
I am sure you can get better and more info by searching the forums here, or from others as they reply.
Best of luck.... I'm sorry she's so sick.

Thank you so much for your help!! She will not eat or drink on her own. So I am making sure that she is getting plenty of water and I have her separated from the rest of the flock. She just lays with her head turned to the side and her beak pointed up. I haven't seen a wound. It's just swollen and looks bruised. She also has a few scratches around her eye but it doesn't seem to be infected. I was thinking that she could have been pecked. I will get some antibiotics in her and see how she does. Again, thanks for the help!!

Here is a picture of how she lays. If she was pecked would it cause her to lay with her head and neck like this? When I set her up she still keeps it turned to the side and will not hold it up. I have never seen this happen to one before so I am very worried about her.

She isn't showing any signs of improvement today. Does anyone have anymore tips or advice on what to do or what could possibly be wrong with her? Thanks!

I don't have any suggestions, except maybe trying some electrolytes in her water to give her some energy to fight this thing. I have Dominiques, also, and I just think they are gorgeous birds. I'm so sorry to see your hen in this condition.

Back
Top Bottom