Help! Sick flock

They get one scoop of scratch to 3 scoops of feed. It’s 16% layer, not sure on nutrition analysis I don’t have an empty bag. I started buying from Amish in the winter, the flock loves it.
That's way too much scratch, any treats should be less than a table spoon per bird, few times a week. If by 'loves it' you mean voraciously eating it, that's a sign that there's not enough nutrients in the feed so they are trying to get as much as possible. 16% layer doesn't have enough nutrition, especially protein, for you modern dual purpose layers, they need atleast 18% protein. If there's a chick starter I'd switch to that add have oyster shell on the side.
I think your flock is suffering from nutrition deficiency and all the reproductive issues that come from it.

That's way too much scratch, any treats should be less than a table spoon per bird, few times a week. If by 'loves it' you mean voraciously eating it, that's a sign that there's not enough nutrients in the feed so they are trying to get as much as possible. 16% layer doesn't have enough nutrition, especially protein, for you modern dual purpose layers, they need atleast 18% protein. If there's a chick starter I'd switch to that add have oyster shell on the side.
I think your flock is suffering from nutrition deficiency and all the reproductive issues that come from it.
Thanks, I will try switching feed and see if it helps. Should I continue with treatment for vent gleet?

The honey is because it's a really light version of an antibiotic, and it'll give a tiny bit of sugar which should give them a tiny bit more energy (which will help if they're not digesting food properly). The acv is because it helps make sure they have good probiotics. Greek yogurt will work too, for the same reason.
Rooster booster/nutri-drench add a lot of vitamins, which should all help *if the flock is just a little bit off*. None of this is a replacement for a targeted antibiotic, but it also won't hurt your flock no matter what else is going on.
Only raw, undiluted (just as the acv) honey has antibacterial properties but a sugar boost will help an ailing hen.

Thanks, I will try switching feed and see if it helps. Should I continue with treatment for vent gleet?
I would put probiotics in their water and treat for gleet. Part of the problem with scratch is that it is high in simple carbs which is what yeast feeds on.

If you end up finding an alternate feed from the Amish, you can add fertell nutri-balancer for poultry. It's what I put in my whole grain feed, and seems to make sure everyone gets what they need.

Back
Top Bottom