Help, sick hatchling!

HennaRose

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Florida
We got our chicks in yesterday. All day yesterday they were fine, doing well, running around. I checked on them at 1:30 am before I went to bed and all were well. I got up at 7 to check on them and my little Sicilian Buttercup is sprawled out under the heat lamp, won't get up, gasping, won't open her eyes. I picked her up gently, and even then she's still sprawled, gasping, eyes shut. This was my most shy of the bunch yesterday, would hide, would peep LOUDLY when I picked her up.

I moved her to a separate brooder because one of the other chicks pecked at her when she didn't get up, with food and water. I had my chicks vaccinated for Mareks, if that information matters, and all the chicks came from the same hatchery. Said hatchery isn't open yet for me to call and ask, and I don't know if she'll be alive still by the time they are open.

What can I do? What should I look for?

Have you brooded before? If first time could it be too hot, have they somewhere to get away from the heat lamp?

No, this is my first brood. The lamp is on one side of the brooder and there's space to get away from it, and all the other chicks are fine. Yesterday she was fine, too, eating, drinking, walking, peeping.

Nevermind. She's gone.

The others in the original brooder seem okay. Everyone's sleeping (in normal positions) and breathing normally, and they were all eating and drinking and moving half an hour ago when I first went in. I'll watch them, though.

Back
Top Bottom