Help! Sick peachicks

I also found this online as a possibility, but a possibility we will hope is unfounded as there's no cure.

Respiratory Disease

Peacocks can get respiratory diseases such as Newcastle disease or fowl pox that spread rapidly and can’t be treated once the disease has made itself known. Other respiratory illnesses show up as swollen eyes or sinuses. The effects of these diseases can be helped with antibiotics, but they may never go away completely. Keeping your peafowl's housing sanitary and keeping them from sick birds are defenses against respiratory illness.

Attachments

• F0E71B20-4933-4343-9870-E8AECA2A1BD7.jpeg
    F0E71B20-4933-4343-9870-E8AECA2A1BD7.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 0
I also found this online as a possibility, but a possibility we will hope is unfounded as there's no cure.

Respiratory Disease

Peacocks can get respiratory diseases such as Newcastle disease or fowl pox that spread rapidly and can’t be treated once the disease has made itself known. Other respiratory illnesses show up as swollen eyes or sinuses. The effects of these diseases can be helped with antibiotics, but they may never go away completely. Keeping your peafowl's housing sanitary and keeping them from sick birds are defenses against respiratory illness.
Thank you! Their eyes to not seem to be swollen. They do have dirty nostrils. I noticed that first thing when I took them from my hen

I found this online-It's for chickens but... For lung mites.

NAME SUMMARY Supportive care Isolate the bird from the flock and place in a safe, comfortable, warm location (your own chicken "intensive care unit") with easy access to water and food. Limit stress. Call your veterinarian. Ivermectin or moxidectin Administered at 0.2 mg/kg orally. Environmental management Completely clean out all bedding and nesting material from the coop. Thoroughly clean and disinfect nestboxes and roosting bars. Spray insecticidal spray into any crevices or cracks present. Vapona (dichlorvos) strips Place in the environment (ensure adequate ventilation and that it is kept out of chickens reach), for 3 days. Repeat one week later.

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/airsac-mites
Can I do both the ivermectin orally and the powder in the cage? Thank you!

Amoxicillin is hardly ever used to treat respiratory infections, but is is a good drug to have in your kit.

Is it any better?

You'll need the liquid, not the pills.
My friend has Baytril 22.7 mg tabs. She said I can buy some but I do not know how many to buy or where to start on dosing. Can you please help me? Thank you!

The maximum ivermectin dose for chicks the size of your chicks is 0.0114 ml.
As an update, I gave them each this drop of ivermectin about 8pm tonight one Chick is a little less gapey the other chick I do not think she got the full drop I may repeat the drop but I am worried about doing so. I saw videos where the drop is applied to the thigh. I may try this. I am worried. Thank you!

As much as I like Craig Hopkins, that information is not correct.
My babies are still hanging in there 🙏🏼. They do get some rest when they shake out the phlegm. I was reading the link on the airsac mites and came across a brood fungus. I do live in a very woodsy area. I recently bought fishzole to have on hand. Is it possible to make a concoction using the fishzole and Baytril 22.7 tabs I am about to pick up? I am also going to dust the cage for and area for mites and give them towels instead of straw. They are tough little birds they certainly want to live. Please let me know if you feel this is a good idea
Thank you So much

Are you sure you can't get them to a vet? What is this fungus? And why would you want to give metronidazole? Metronidazole is used to treat some gram positive infections and some protozoa. To the best of my knowledge, it is not use to treat fungal infections.

Back
Top Bottom