help! sick peacock

Pics
How do I know if I am pushing the pill in the back of his throat it is going in the right place.
I have tube fed puppies. I am not sure if I need to do that yet. He was picking at some banana.
You should be able to push it down the right side of his esophagus.

It seems like the whole series of photos make it more clear where liquid should and shouldn't go:
http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/24/

Hope he's improving?

Yes, I especially like this photo from that website placing the syringe where it should be.

Last edited:
Yes, I especially like this photo from that website placing the syringe where it should be.

Okay, I guess I have two issues with the article... Again, IMHO, I don't think the 1cc syringe is far enough down the esophagus... too high a risk for aspiration where it is shown.

Okay, I guess I have two issues with the article... Again, IMHO, I don't think the 1cc syringe is far enough down the esophagus... too high a risk for aspiration where it is shown.

Do you think the placement of it is just an example? How far should it be?

Another question, is it better to give a pill whole or crush it and add a few drops of water and administer the solution a needle free syringe? Will the meds lose it's strength if crushed and a little water mixed in?

When I had to give Baytril tablets to Peggy, the vet showed me how to do it (I had no experience!).
She just had me open his beak and place it on his tongue, a bit far back on his tongue but definitely not "pushing it" anywhere.
Then I had to hold his beak closed and tip his head back a little bit, and just wait for him to do the rest - he swallowed it himself.
You can also stroke the throat lightly to encourage swallowing.
I had to do this twice a day for a week, three tablets each time, so I can guarantee that it works!

When I had to give Baytril tablets to Peggy, the vet showed me how to do it (I had no experience!).
She just had me open his beak and place it on his tongue, a bit far back on his tongue but definitely not "pushing it" anywhere.
Then I had to hold his beak closed and tip his head back a little bit, and just wait for him to do the rest - he swallowed it himself.
You can also stroke the throat lightly to encourage swallowing.
I had to do this twice a day for a week, three tablets each time, so I can guarantee that it works!

That is exactly how I do it. Same technique. Works like a charm!

Another question, is it better to give a pill whole or crush it and add a few drops of water and administer the solution a needle free syringe? Will the meds lose it's strength if crushed and a little water mixed in?

When I give them their Safeguard, I fill the syringe with the dose for that bird, insert the syringe on the left side and aim it diagnally down, across the back of the tongue to the right. Once in, I carefully and gently insert almost all the way. When properly placed, I can see/ feel the tip on the right side of their neck. It's then that I push the plunger. I'll to get some pictures the next time I do it. I'm not saying my way is better, it's just what feels safest to me.

One could crush a metronidazole tablet, add water and give it with a syringe. I'd think it would be easier just to give the tablet, but that's just me.

When I give them their Safeguard, I fill the syringe with the dose for that bird, insert the syringe on the left side and aim it diagnally down, across the back of the tongue to the right. Once in, I carefully and gently insert almost all the way. When properly placed, I can see/ feel the tip on the right side of their neck. It's then that I push the plunger. I'll to get some pictures the next time I do it. I'm not saying my way is better, it's just what feels safest to me.

One could crush a metronidazole tablet, add water and give it with a syringe. I'd think it would be easier just to give the tablet, but that's just me.

Sounds good to me. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom