Help! sick rooster

Many times the state vet can recognize signs during the necropsy, such as tumors on organs, enlarged nerves in the legs, eye changes, or skin lesions. If they suspect it and the owner wants a PCR test, they test the feather shafts and any tumor tissue they find. Many states send off the Mareks test and it is an extra charge. Mareks is a worldwide disease. I have never seen it in my flock, even though I have some vaccinated and some that are not vaccinated birds.

Many times the state vet can recognize signs during the necropsy, such as tumors on organs, enlarged nerves in the legs, eye changes, or skin lesions. If they suspect it and the owner wants a PCR test, they test the feather shafts and any tumor tissue they find. Many states send off the Mareks test and it is an extra charge. Mareks is a worldwide disease. I have never seen it in my flock, even though I have some vaccinated and some that are not vaccinated birds.
ok, thanks. Do you have any idea how much extra it would be?

The better question is what do you do if the vet lab says it’s Mareks?
yes...that would be awful. But I think thats what it is.

I really want to hatch some of the hens eggs that he fertilized, but is that a really bad idea? I could make them their own coop and keep them where chickens haven't been and always go to their coop first so I don't spread it. I want to keep him in my flock and that way his son who died would still be here to because the chicks would be his siblings.

yes...that would be awful. But I think thats what it is.

I really want to hatch some of the hens eggs that he fertilized, but is that a really bad idea? I could make them their own coop and keep them where chickens haven't been and always go to their coop first so I don't spread it. I want to keep him in my flock and that way his son who died would still be here to because the chicks would be his siblings.
A lot of what you’re going to get will be based on opinion. If it was me no I wouldn’t breed any bird that showed any signs of illness whatsoever at any time in his life other than enteritis/coccidia. That can be caused from lack of cleaning pens, weaker immune system during molt and especially during weather changes like this time of year.
Many illnesses and diseases can be prevented by better breeding. If you breed weak sickly birds you can’t hardly expect strong birds as a result.

A lot of what you’re going to get will be based on opinion. If it was me no I wouldn’t breed any bird that showed any signs of illness whatsoever at any time in his life other than enteritis/coccidia. That can be caused from lack of cleaning pens, weaker immune system during molt and especially during weather changes like this time of year.
Many illnesses and diseases can be prevented by better breeding. If you breed weak sickly birds you can’t hardly expect strong birds as a result.
He was a very healthy bird before all this happened. I think some of it is his old age and some of it is stress of the weather changing/moving into a hoop house, some of it is mareks or whatever is wrong weakening his immune system.
I would just be concerned about them getting mareks IF this is mareks.
And mareks cant be passed down from a hen to her chick can it? if the chick is hatched in an incubator.

He was a very healthy bird before all this happened. I think some of it is his old age and some of it is stress of the weather changing/moving into a hoop house, some of it is mareks or whatever is wrong weakening his immune system.
I would just be concerned about them getting mareks IF this is mareks.
And mareks cant be passed down from a hen to her chick can it? if the chick is hatched in an incubator.
If it is mareks they’ve all already been exposed. You can give vitamins and probiotics periodically especially while molting and extreme weather changes. Probably one of the cheapest ways to keep birds healthy along with keeping them dry and out of the mud.

I just called the state poultry pathologist who recommended calling this number to arrange a necropsy in Maine:
207-581-3874 where they can tell you how to arrange it and they will take an email address to communicate with you. The state lab is in Orono, not Augusta. The cost of a basic necropsy is $25. If they need further histology to determine the cause of death, they may charge up to $50 more, but only if you give the okay.

Back
Top Bottom