HELP SICK TURKEY

Lurkeygirl2011

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 22, 2011
My turkey Louise is acting lethargic. She is hunched up in the corner of her pen, feathers ruffled. I just noticed diarrhea, but no blood. She was walking fine this morning. But for the past several days I have felt something was not quite right. Any advice???

Sorry to hear your turk's not well.

What variety of turk, how old, color of droppings? Anything else that you can think of?

Royal Palm, she 2. Whitish watery droppings... She walked around a little before going inside, and did make it up to the roost. If she makes it to tomorrow I can get some antibiotics...

She shook her head weird a couple days ago, but she just did that once that I saw...

And for the past couple of days at least, she has just seemed slower than usual, not pecking her food with the usual vigor.

Last Tuesday I cleaned out the coop and put new shavings in, Wednesday I moved around their panels so they could have some fresh grass, she seemed very happy to have the new grass.

She lives with 3 other Turkeys all royal Palms, two toms and another hen. They are all acting fine.

The coop is divided by chicken wire, on the other side are 7 other turkeys also RP.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on how much, if anything, she's eating. Has she laid any eggs this year, yet? Has it been raining a lot in your area and warmer than usual (potential moldy something or other). I'd make sure she just had plenty of clean, fresh water and augment diet with meal worms/crushed hard boiled eggs.

That's she still well enough to make it to roost is hopeful.

Thank you!

It has been a lot warmer than usual this year, for 2 wks it was hot, now today it has dropped back into the 30s.

I called the vet and he wondered if it was a respiratory infection. He said to keep her in a well ventilated area and try giving some childrens benadryl. I opened the window on her side of the coop, I am not sure if that was the right thing to do or not, as it is supposed to be cold again tonight. I didn't get the benadryl into her. I thought about putting her up in the big shed but she seemed really distressed when I separated her from the rest of the turkeys, so just left her.

She has not laid an egg yet this spring. I just found my first egg today, from one of my other turkeys.

Usually, when these guys have something respiratory going on you'll hear or see signs of it (goop from nares, swollen cheeks, wheezing). Just keep a close eye for anything specific and post up (reason I asked about egg laying was potential for being egg-bound).

Back
Top Bottom