Help! Sick turkeys

clucknark

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
I have a group of 13 week old turkeys and something just isn't right with 2 of the females. They are less active than usual and their feathers around their necks are fluffed. Their wings were a bit droopy this morning also. One of them had normal poop, but the other had greenish poop that was more watery than normal. They are occasionally standing very straight up with their tails pointed down and making a motion with their heads while stretching out their necks that makes it look like they are about to vomit or straining to poop. Their beaks remain closed during the odd motion. They are not having any respiratory symptoms.

I know turkeys are susceptible to cocci and I started them with corid in their water, but I have never seen that odd motion in chickens.

They did not seem to be eating as much as usual this morning, but they did eat mealworms, grass (lots of it), tomatoes and cooked broccoli this evening. They also ate some of their regular food and appeared to have their appetite back.

Their skin on their heads is pink and they are still vocal and flying to me. Please help!

If you are using the Corid powder, the dose is 4.5 grams per US Gallon, which I believe is 1.5 teaspoons, not 1/2 teaspoons like many think it is. The mfg of Corid and Amprol are the ones that said it's 4.5 grams, which medicates the water to .024%.

The liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per US gallon.

-Kathy

In addition to coccidiosis, they are also susceptible to blackhead and necrotic enteritis, I think. look up those symptoms and see if they're a better fit for what you're seeing.

-Kathy

I'm very grateful you posted the information about the Corid dosage as I have been using only 1/2 teaspoon of the powder per gallon.

I have seen turkeys with Blackhead and am hesitant to think that's what this is. I have not seen any yellowish droppings and from what I have seen in the past it is very distinct. Have you ever heard of the odd neck pumping motion in regards to anything other than a respiratory disease? I am going to research nectrotic enteritis more thoroughly. I read about it last night but I couldn't find any mention of that as a symptom.

How would you treat without a true diagnosis? The only way I can get a diagnosis for poultry is by necropsy and I really want to save my birds. :(

I'll have to look into the safety of treating for multiple things because I don't know what order to treat. I am going to correct the Corid strength but I'm wary it isn't cocci.

Whenever I see a turkey or peafowl with funny looking poop it gets:

• Fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) 50mg/kg (.5 ml per 2.2 pounds) by mouth. Repeat in ten days.
  • Metronidazole (Flagyl 200mg, Fish-Zole 250mg, Meditrich 100mg, etc) no less than 30mg/kg (30mg per 2.2 pounds) once a for five days, but never more than 60mg/kg twice a day.

Secondary bacterial and/or fungal infections are often seen with blackhead, so sometimes I treat with an additional antibiotic Clavamox or Baytril.

-Kathy

I ordered both fenbendazole and metronidazole from Valley Vet on Sunday but it won't arrive until Thursday. Can I give them the fenbendazole and metronidazole the same day?

Do I need to wait until the 5 days on metronidazole are finished before I start an antibiotic?

Can anyone tell me if I can give a wormer at the same time as the methimazole?

My order won't be in from Valley Vet until tomorrow, but I found a specialty pet store that has powdered methimazole. I started giving it to the birds yesterday by mixing it in water and dripping it into their beaks.

The pet store also had a wormer made by Rooster Booster. It contains Hygromcycin B and Bacitracin methylene disalicylate. Should I wait for the fenbendazole to come in tomorrow or start giving this one now?

Just wait for the Fenbendazole, and yes, you can give both at the same time, that's what my avian vet told me to do. FWIW, I think they are given together for treat giardia in puppies, but don't quote me on that.

-Kathy

I just noticed that your post says methimazole... I'm hoping it's just a typo and that you meant to write metronidazole :D

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom