HELP! signs and symptoms of coccidiosis?

cleopatra

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2012
South Texas

I think my golden campine might have coccidiosis. She's 27 weeks old and she had it when she was 8 weeks old and then again about 6 weeks later. I thought we didn't have to worry about it anymore because she's all grown up now, but she's acting funny. Before when she had it, she seemed very lethargic like she couldn't keep her eyes open, and she would stand without moving or just sit down. But now she is walking funny with her wings down and her tail down. She's kind of waddling instead of walking and she sits down alot. She seems alert though, and doesn't seem lethargic like before. I did find blood in her poop. The poop was still firm but laced with blood. I haven't given them any kind of berries or anything that could be mistaken for blood. I'm posting pics of her weird posture. I started them on corid just in case. It just seems so different than the last two times she had it that I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas on what it could be. I'd appreciate any help ya'll can give me.

Check and make sure she isn't egg bound. She could have cut something inside that made her poop a little bloody. Make sure it isn't intestinal sheddings. Normally once a chicken has a type of coccidiosis they are immune to that type of coccidiosis. If she has had coccidiosis 2 times and now a 3rd.........I don't know its just strange. There is a link in my signature about Coccidiosis if you have any questions.

She could be eggbound then If that is not so I would start looking at other things.
Is she firm in her abdomen. If she is firm and tight in abldomen she has worms! If they have worms it can make them carry fluid in their abdomen giving it a firm feeling. A hen with worms will have dirty butt at first lethargic, then loose stools and firm abdomen. Eventually death. I would give her 1/2cc of safegaurd goat wormer liquid and a shot of antibiotics. When the worms dislodge from their places on intestines causes inflammation and infection. if she is diarrhea I give her shot of oxytetracycline injectable 1cc unde skin on breast if not diarrhea i give 1cc of penicillin and 1/2cc of tylan 50 for adult bird under the skin. It works good on infections in abdomen too and wonders on respiratory infections. Tylan 50 can be destructive to tissue and I find it not so destructive on tissue mixed together and works better too.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned in my first post that she is still a pullet and hasn't started laying yet even though she's 27 weeks old. I guess she could be egg bound with her first egg. So she looks better today but her wings and tail are still a bit down. I found one pile of poo with blood in it from last night which is included in this post. She seems alert but is "taking it easy". She's not her usual "everywhere at once" self. She is eating and drinking. I got her to take about 1-2ml of olive oil in case she's blocked in some way. I felt around her abdomen and didn't feel anything firm or hard. However, I've never really felt around a chicken's abdomen before. Sorry about the poo pic, but I really need some opinions here. Could this be normal intestinal shedding? Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn't look normal. Maybe she was constipated and impacted. I have not ever had one do that. I would still worm her to be safe. You sure don't hurt them worming them.
images
Safeguard Liquid goat wormer- 1cc per 10lbs of bird, then ... Dosage is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds I prefer to worm this way so I don't have to worm everyone in water and I can safely worm them. It doesn't get all that ivomec does but no withdrawal times,just goes through the bowel. You can get it at tractor supply or Atwoods. or order it mail from KV Vet Supply, or Valley Vet supply. I order it online from those places. This is given orally to chickens and is not real expensive.

She looks even better today and is acting more spry. We dosed her again with olive oil before bed. She left a nice big pile of oily poo under her stoop from last night and there was no blood in it. Yay! She's eating and drinking and I didn't see her sit down all afternoon. So, either the olive oil helped, the corid worked, or none of the above. I'll give a full week of corid just in case. Hopefully, she'll continue to get better. Thanks you everyone for your help and advice!

So, I thought I'd leave an update. The day after I last posted her wings were dragging the ground agian and she was resting a lot. We gave her a soak in some epsom salts and the next day she seemed better, but today she's back to dragging her wings. She still hasn't had any bloody droppings since those first two days. Today will be the last day of the corid treatment. She's eating and drinking well. I don't know what's going on with her. Does anyone know how often I can repeat an epsom salt bath? I would like to continue these if it makes her feel better, but don't know how often is okay. Thank you!

So, I thought I'd leave an update. The day after I last posted her wings were dragging the ground agian and she was resting a lot. We gave her a soak in some epsom salts and the next day she seemed better, but today she's back to dragging her wings. She still hasn't had any bloody droppings since those first two days. Today will be the last day of the corid treatment. She's eating and drinking well. I don't know what's going on with her. Does anyone know how often I can repeat an epsom salt bath? I would like to continue these if it makes her feel better, but don't know how often is okay. Thank you!
The baths will not hurt her. Her poop looked normal to me. A little shedding is normal. I highly doubt she has cocci.

Back
Top Bottom