Help-Silkie Chick with scissor beak

thriftynickel

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 23, 2015
Southwestern Wisconsin
I have a 5 week old Silkie chick that is so cute and sweet. I just noticed its beak is a little crooked and I am trying to figure out what I should do next. I have never killed anything and not sure I could stomach it but will do it if necessary. I want it to have a nice comfortable life of possible, not sure what is best or if I am equipped for its care? Thanks in advance for opinions and insights.

As long as he/she can eat OK everything will be fine. However, they sometimes tend to get worse with age, and I have read about people having to trim them up a bit. It can even get worse with age to the point where they cannot eat and at that point they cannot make it. Some moisten the food (only 24 hours' worth so it won't get moldy though) and that may help.

I used to have a hen with a crossbeak and she ate fine.

Hi
I have a roo that has a the same thing.

I would not do anything until you see that he or she can't eat.

I thought I would take mine to get euthanized by my vet, but he eats and drinks fine. Lopsided he eats and drinks, but he can do it.

Can you post a picture? Can you tell us the degrees of the angle? Is it too crooked? Can the chick eat fine and drink?

I have read that it is important that they do not break their bottom part of their beak where their tongue is.

I file only the top part of my roos beak from time to time. He usually "groom's" it when it gets too long; takes care of it himself.

Either they make it and cope with it or they can't eat and will starve. You will know when the time comes.

Mine was 5 months and he still ate and drank. I have accepted him that way and will keep him. If he can't eat when he is older I will take him to my vet then.

Hope this helps. Many people might say to go and get it euthanized, but I would give the chick a chance at life.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the replies! Certainly puts my mind at ease knowing that some go on to have a good quality of life. This little chick is eating and drinking and seems feisty like the rest.
1f60a.png

How cute!

Give the chick at chance at life :)
If you see it loose weight and not eat or drink then it is time.

Mine is doing just fine :) He is 7 months of age.

Back
Top Bottom