HELP, sizzle chicks dying off...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mollychick2013, Aug 24, 2014.

1. mollychick2013

mollychick2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    We purchased 5 sizzle chicks from a somewhat local person. First day seemed fine, one was a little sluggish but only about 2 days old.

Yesterday, that slow one died. Okay, not a problem, that happens. Then today, one that had been doing great earlier at the end of the day all of a sudden was laying breathing heavy, I tried to help it with some sugar water and before I could really do that, it died.

I moved the remaining three into a different brooder, cleaned things etc. No deaths yet, but the black sizzle is not as active as the other too and seems uncertain when walking like it might fall over (though has NOT fallen over yet).

Any idea what is going on? We have never had this trouble with chicks before -- not to this degree -- though we have never had sizzle chicks either. I am using Dumor Chick starter this time and normally i use the walmart medicated chick starter. Could that be the issue?

Need some help, asap! We really want these chicks to live.

Update 1:
    Hubby is cleaning their pasty butts now. Hoping that was the cause and not a problem disease wise... still would like input!

Update 2:
    All pasty butts cleared... but black one after an hour has wing hanging low on the side, like dragging it, and was laying on its side with leg up until another chick came over and nudged it and then it started walking around though with wing hanging limply.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. mollychick2013

Apr 23, 2013
    Hubby is cleaning their pasty butts now. Hoping that was the cause and not a problem disease wise... still would like input!

3. mollychick2013

Apr 23, 2013
    All pasty butts cleared... but black one after an hour has wing hanging low on the side, like dragging it, and was laying on its side with leg up until another chick came over and nudged it and then it started walking around though with wing hanging limply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by